ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF ATHLETIC BANDS/PROGRAM COORDINATORDepartment:
Franklin-School of MusicAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities, is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (https://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 15 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 18 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.Posting Type:
Non-Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Part TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
Hours will vary. Must be able to work late nights, very early mornings, weekends, and university holidays. Advertised Salary:
Commensurate with ExperiencePosting Date:
07/01/2021Open until filled:
YesProposed Starting Date:
08/01/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
Additional materials may be requested at a later date.Location of Vacancy:
Athens Area EEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
Student Services ProfessionalFLSA:
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications:
A Master’s Degree and/or Doctorate in one or more of the following fields: Music, Music Education or Conducting.Position Summary:
The Program Coordinator will provide instructional and administrative contributions to music ensembles administered through the Band area of the Hugh Hodgson School of Music. These ensembles primarily perform in support of UGA athletic events, including football, basketball, volleyball, and gymnastics competitions. The Program Coordinator will lead UGA students, collaborate with UGA faculty and staff, and cooperate with athletics personnel to facilitate, prepare, and create rewarding constituent experiences and performances that represent UGA with excellence and enthusiasm. Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
This position entails substantial skill in music ensemble instruction including conducting and music notation-reading proficiency, well-developed error-detection abilities in musical and visual domains related to marching and athletic bands, flexible hours (including frequent nights and weekends), and thorough familiarity with wind and percussion pedagogical techniques. Working knowledge of rules and game management practices in the above mentioned athletics events, administrative skills including abilities in Microsoft 365 Suite, and outstanding skill in spoken and written English. In addition to direct engagement with athletic bands events, the Program Coordinator will assist with supporting activities including information and resource management, recruitment, and communications. Physical Demands:
• Safely traverse uneven and inconsistent surfaces, including artificial athletic turf, natural grass in dry and wet conditions, and areas containing numerous obstacles such as television cables. Is driving a responsibility of this position?:
• Ascend/descend stairs and ladders at fluctuating pace.
• Work safely in crowds whose movements can be unpredictable and in spaces where personal movement is restricted.
• Position oneself to observe, instruct, and conduct marching and athletic bands.
• Lift and move music and related equipment up to 30 pounds.
• Tolerate a wide variety of weather conditions and very loud environments for extended periods of time.
• Work late nights, very early mornings, and on weekends and university holidays. Work at a computer for extended periods.
NoIs this a Position of Trust?:
NoDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
NoDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
NoCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
Marching Band Instruction: Percentage of time:
- With other directors and instructors, lead small group and full-ensemble rehearsals and other events.
- With other directors and instructors, conduct and direct marching band performances.
- Mentor leadership in woodwind sections.
- Develop and implement appropriate warmup and rehearsal procedures for woodwind area.
- Serve as on-field technician with emphasis on woodwind performance.
- Monitor and develop relationships between band senior leadership members.
Marching Band Administration: Percentage of time:
- Manage member recruitment, application, audition, and admission processes.
- Evaluate member audition materials and collaboratively determine and execute membership offers.
- Manage member onboarding and information collection.
- Maintain student attendance information.
- Manage staff credential assignment and distribution.
- Collaborate in marketing, PR, and social media efforts.
- Collaborate in show design process.
- Collaborate in leadership selection process.
- Contribute to planning, scheduling, budgeting, and other administrative tasks.
- Book hotel, transportation, and meals for select travel engagements.
- Interface with visiting bands at football games.
- Manage uniform inventory.
Other Athletic Band Instruction: Percentage of time:
- Lead rehearsals and performances for ensembles that perform at basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, and other sports.
- Lead performances of ensembles in performances at postseason tournaments in select sports.
Other Athletic Band Administration: Percentage of time:
- Manage member recruitment and admission processes.
- Assign members to performance duties at basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, and other sports.
- Maintain student attendance and payment information, and work with business staff to execute payments.
- Book hotel and transportation for select travel engagements.
- Work with Athletics staff to facilitate band preparation for and performance at athletics events.