Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Scope of Responsibilities
Manage and provide daily operational support of the Duke University Box Office. Configure and build a variety of events including reserved and general admission events for the arts and cultural venues on campus. Oversee various aspects of the Box Office operation including student employee training, scheduling, cash operations, credit card compliance, daily reconciliations, and student group ticketing sales support. Interact with the general public and provide necessary customer service. Manage key operational tasks to maintain efficient processes of the Box Office at all times. Provide accurate and timely information and facilitate problem solving in an efficient and customer focused manner.
Manage, supervise and monitor ticket sales, customer service, event updates, and other needs of the Duke University Box Office products and offerings. Manage operational aspects of sales via window, mail and internet operations. Answer inquiries, determine seat locations and assist customers with selection and purchase of tickets for individuals and groups. Oversee daily operational customer service, payment handling and staffing needs. Coordinate event logistics as needed with other event staff to ensure operational readiness, efficiency and resource utilization for the consistent delivery of services related to reservations, event ticketing, and front of house event operations.
Manage and support ticketing system event building, ticket and promotion configuration, user security, ticket design and proofing. Configure and maintain ticketing websites including content, graphic design and coding in accordance with standard practices and guidelines. Assist in preparation of ticket sales audits and reports related to revenue and attendance at events.
Responsible for the hiring and management of student employees. Provide training, updates and communication to the student employees regarding operations, policies and procedures, including PCI-DSS (credit card) security compliance training and practices, and ADA regulations and accessibility information. Maintain student compliance training logs, and event specific training as needed. Assist in the training and scheduling of part-time house managers as needed.
Consult, correspond with and train staff in constituent organizations in regards to ticketing software and web development and maintenance. Ensure clients have proper training materials to adequately train their respective support staffs.
Implement new office methods and procedures to ensure accuracy and efficiency. Ensure accurate maintenance of office records, manuals and documents while keeping informed of new policies and procedures. Interpret new directives, policies and regulations and inform appropriate personnel of changes.
Perform additional related duties as assigned or required to meet department, division and University goals and objectives.
Job-Specific Skills and Competencies
- Experience with ticketing systems, AudienceView Ticketing product experience preferred
- Experience with digital media concepts and marketing, such as Four Winds Interactive, Photoshop, Illustrator products
- Self-motivated, ability to take initiative and complete projects independently
- Capable of working in a fast paced environment
- Basic understanding of ticketing industry and relational database systems
- Experience in customer record management and maintenance
- Must exhibit professional phone etiquette
- Ability to explain and interpret documents and complex processes to others
- Ability to work under pressure on projects and work with people of varying experience levels
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to problem solve and manage concurrent projects within established guidelines
- Strong communication skills – verbal, written and interpersonal
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team, with a commitment to collaboration
- Valid NC driver’s license required. Must complete and maintain required compliance, vehicle safety checks, and training in order to remain eligible to drive Duke vehicles.
- Ability to work under the following working conditions: frequent use of stairs, noise, and work in low light conditions. This position will be expected to work extended hours, night and weekend shifts required on a regular basis.
- Ability to carry, push or pull items up to 50 pounds.
Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
Work requires one year of experience in the arts, special events, conference planning, student activities or a related field.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.