Casual WagePosition Title:
Temporary - Carpenter (no benefits)Full Time/Part Time:
Finance and AdministrationDepartment:
Facilities - TradesDepartment Statement:
It is the mission of the Facilities Department at Colgate University to create the safest, cleanest, and most comfortable environment that further distinguishes Colgate University as a world-class educational institution. We work hard as part of a unified team, to make everyone who arrives on campus feel welcomed. It is our vision to be an exceptionally run facilities department that is dedicated to exemplary service, environmental stewardship, operational efficiency, teamwork, and fiscal responsibility. “One team, one mission”Accountabilities:
Colgate University is seeking to build a pool of skilled Temporary Carpenters to join the Carpenter Shop. Successful applicants might work extended periods due to medical leaves, shorter term for vacation coverage, or when there are additional needs. Accountabilities include:
Professional Experience/ Qualifications:
- Constructing, erecting, installing and repairing wood and fixtures of wood working from blueprints, drawings, written or oral instructions.
- Hanging sheet rock, making plaster repairs, performing trim work and making cabinetry and furniture repairs.
- Performing associated preparation work (i.e. form and frame work, trim setting, erect scaffolding).
- Conducting own layouts for assigned jobs which includes estimating labor hours, materials and support staff needed and maintaining accurate records of labor and materials ordered.
- Performing minor roof work and repairs.
- Working collaboratively with foreperson of the Carpenter Shop and other team members. Must be able to work closely with campus customers to understand and translate their needs, to coordinate and schedule work and close out jobs.
- Experience working independently, as well as part of a team.
- Experience coordinating work with other trades.
- Proven excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated communication skills (verbal and written).
- Must be capable of working in a setting with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff and visitors on a daily basis.
At least one of the following is required:
- Certification from a 5 year accredited carpentry apprentice program.
- Graduation from 2 year certified trade school, and 1 year of journey level field experience.
- Proof of 5 consecutive years as a journeyperson in the field.
- Completion of Trade school desired.
- 10-hour Osha training course.
- High School diploma (or equivalent) is required or a combination or education and experience from which comparable skills have been acquired is required.
- Responsible for following all procedures to conduct work activities in a safe manner including, but not limited to, wearing PPE required for specific duties and safe handling of chemicals and tools as outlined by University policies and / or the Facilities Management team.
- Responsible for immediately reporting any unsafe conditions to Management and / or Environmental Health & Safety.
- Will be required to wear a NIOSH (National Institute of Occupational Health & Safety) approved respirator and personal protective equipment.
- Ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions as needed including exposure to heights, high speed power tools, and outdoor work. Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Must be comfortable with exposure to heights (ladders, scaffolding, lifts).
•A current, valid driver’s license, in accordance with the University’s Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy may be required for certain work opportunities.Requisition Number:
The work schedule varies based on needs of the University. This position may be scheduled for a longer duration of 40 hours per week to cover during employee long term absences.Job Open Date:
06/15/2021Open Until Filled:
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Clery Act:
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at [email protected]. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.