Research Faculty, 12 Month Salaried (Center for Advanced Power Systems) Location:
Tallahassee, FL Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
The Center for Advanced Power Systems (CAPS)
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.
The Center for Advanced Power Systems at the Florida State University (located at 2000 Levy Ave, Suite 140, Tallahassee, FL 32310) seeks to hire for two full-time research faculty positions. The positions entail maintaining a state-of-the-art real-time simulation testbed for electrical power systems as well as significant research and development to continuously improve those facilities.
- Maintaining a state-of-the-art real-time simulation testbed for electrical power systems.
- Performing significant research and developing significant research to continuously improve the facilities.
- Writing white papers and creating further research and developments.
- Leading a team of graduate and undergraduate researchers, working amongst peers and others to lead a team to excellence and building a high functioning facility from the ground up when called for.
Level of position is commensurate with experience.
Academic doctorate or highest-level terminal degree from an accredited institution in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related field, or equivalent qualifications based on professional experience and otherwise qualified to perform assigned duties, with a demonstrated record of achievement in research.
- Knowledge of Matlab and other fundamental engineering software.
- Interest in device-level software development and a good understanding of modern computer architectures.
- Must be able to work on projects restricted by U.S. export control laws.
- Basic knowledge in high voltage engineering and testing (including partial discharge testing) is preferred.
- Proficiency in C++17 (or above), Python, and VHDl programming languages is highly desirable.
- Basic knowledge of artificial intelligence algorithms desired.
- Ability to obtain a U.S. Department of Defense security clearance is preferred.
This job opening is being advertised to recruit for two identical positions: 00080112 and 00064742. One position has been filled, and the department is currently recruiting for the remaining position.
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
This is a Faculty position.
FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
Soft Money Funded Position
These are soft money funded positions, with renewal based on available funds and the needs of the University.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific Faculty job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include education details even if attaching a Vita.
Request Letters of Reference
This position requires that you have three confidential professional letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf. Follow the steps below to request these letters through our system:
1) After submitting your application, click the Careers link;
2) Click the My References link;
3) Click the Send/View Reference Request button next to the appropriate position; and
4) Follow the steps on that page to send your references a system generated email requesting they submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
You may also return to the My References link and click on "Send/View Reference Request" to see if your references have responded, add additional references, or resend requests.
Open until filled
This position is being advertised as open until filled.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Screening Foreign Researchers
Pursuant to Florida law, any citizen of a foreign country who is not a permanent resident of the U.S., or who is a citizen or permanent resident but is affiliated with or has had at least 1 year of employment or training in China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, or Syria is subject to additional screening. If you meet these criteria, you must be prepared to provide the following information to FSU upon request:
- Every institution of higher education attended, whether or not listed on your CV or resume
- All previous employment since your 18th birthday
- A list of all published material
- A list of all current and pending research funding from any source, including details about the research, your role, funding source, and amount
- List and description of any non-university professional activities
- Any affiliation with an institution or program in a foreign country
- A complete copy of your passport
- Your most recently submitted DS-160 (Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application)