Job no: 493781
Position Type: Part-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Mid-Level
Categories: Adjunct Faculty
Role: Intensive Eng Non-Credit Instructor
As a result of the Covid-19 Delta Variant, the Governor of the State of Illinois has issued Executive Order 2021-20 (Covid-19 Executive Order No. 87), to include mandatory COVID vaccines or submission to weekly testing for higher education faculty, personnel, and college students, as well as issuing an indoor mask mandate for all. By choosing to apply, I acknowledge and understand that upon employment, Elgin Community College (ECC) may require proof of vaccination or weekly testing as required by this mandate.
Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.Work Schedule and Location:
Work Schedule: Hours – 9am -2:30 pm Monday-Thursday during the semester. Summer workshop hours are 9am until 1pm Monday –Thursday. Courses are taught in a classroom setting and may include a lab component, such as off campus cultural excursions. Please indicate your availability in your cover letter.
Successful candidates for this position are expected to work in the state of Illinois.
Rate of Pay:
Per contact hour
Intensive English Instructors provide instruction aligned with the college's strategic goals and evaluate students' progress to facilitate achievement of their educational goals.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in teaching English as a Second Language/Foreign Language or in a related discipline
- Minimum one year of teaching experience in the discipline
- Communicating with excellent written and oral skills in English
- Knowledge of and skill in use of computer technologies for educational purposes
- Skills and experience to motivate students from a broad spectrum of socioeconomic, cultural, educational, and language backgrounds
- Understanding of contemporary equity and diversity concepts and issues in a community college setting
- Evidence of professional growth and service such as workshop presentations, recent workshop and conference attendance, materials and curriculum development, collaborative teaching endeavors, classroom-based research, organizational membership and involvement, committee work, ESL supervisory work, etc.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Teaching all levels and components of IEP classes to students from diverse cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic, and linguistic backgrounds
- Providing effective classroom or laboratory instruction, using methods and materials appropriate to the subject matter, including software, videotapes, audiotapes, etc.
- Preparing and evaluating all class assignments and examinations
- Advising, assisting and evaluating students, evaluating learning outcomes and maintaining regular office hours
- Participating in program activities including curriculum and program planning, development, evaluation, and decision making as well as the development of new teaching-learning methods and materials
- Contributing to development of program policies and procedures
- Participation in departmental and college professional activities and/or committees is welcomed, but not required
- Maintaining accurate and timely student records as required
- Maintaining currency and depth of knowledge in assigned area of responsibility
- Maintaining appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics
Sedentary (up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting most of the time)
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)
Typical office or administrative
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: June 29, 2021 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled