Community College of PhiladelphiaGeneral Description
The Transportation Technologies Department at the Community College of Philadelphia invites applications for an adjunct position in Automotive Technology anticipated to begin in the 2021-2022 academic year.
The Transportation Technologies Department includes a variety of degrees and certificates in the areas of Automotive Technology and Individualized Studies. The department strives to meet the needs of all students interested in obtaining an education in these areas and is focused on preparing professionals, for successful careers. The program currently has manufacturer supported training programs with Ford, Nissan and Subaru. We are in the process of building a new state-of-the-art automotive facility and significantly expanding our transportation technology programming.
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions.
This position requires on campus teaching.Specific Responsibilities
• Teach automotive courses to students with an interest in becoming automotive technicians and working in the transportation industry.
• Support community college students as they further develop their automotive technology skills, professional attitudes, and behaviors, for college and workplace success.
• Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course's standard course outline and specific requirements as guides.
• Become expert in course materials, and prepare lectures, hands-on activities, and presentations for effective teaching.
• Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
• Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
• Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities and meetings at the designated times.
• Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning, including learning and using manufacturers' software when applicable.
• Develop and maintain working relationships with Philadelphia's automotive industry/workforce.
• Serve on standing and ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring committees, or as a student organization advisor.
• Demonstrate a sense of connection and responsibility for helping the College to achieve success through a commitment to its mission, vision, and values.
• Communicate effectively, share vision, focus on people, initiate positive change, value differences and foster collaboration. Work with and inspire others to achieve college, department, and individual success. Proactively identify/address problems.
• Establish an inclusive environment in the classroom. Demonstrate an understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of the College's faculty, staff and students.
• Participation in continual assessment and course updates to ensure excellence in meeting program and student learning outcomes.
• Strive for excellence in teaching, applying best practices in field of discipline, and modeling behaviors that encourage student success and retention. Utilize innovative teaching strategies and technologies for online learning and other technology tools to meet the learning needs of a diverse student population. Maintain office hours to meet with students outside of the classroom and respond to questions or concerns.
• Commitment to professional learning and growth, student mentoring, and service to the profession. Remain current in the use of technology, developments within the field of discipline, and developments related to teaching and student success.Minimum Qualifications
• Associate of Applied Science degree in Automotive Technology.
• 5 years of experience as a technician.
• ASE Certified Technician in the area they are teaching.Preferred Qualifications
• Master ASE certified technician with L1 Advance certification.
• College level teaching experience.Work Location
Main CampusSpecial Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Names and contact information of 3 professional referenced REQUIRED.
• Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally under-represented groups. AA/EOE.Position Type