Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist the University of Arkansas- Fort Smith in their search for an inaugural Dean of the College of Health, Education and Human Sciences.
For best consideration, please apply by September 7, 2021.
This is a remarkable opportunity for a results-driven strategist and change agent to serve as the inaugural Dean of the College of Health, Education and Human Sciences in this newly organized College.
The successful candidate is a data oriented, visionary leader who brings demonstrated examples of interdisciplinary collaboration, program development, and community relations success as they unite the well-established programs within this new College.
The ideal candidate is dedicated to the enthusiastic promotion of the new College as well as guiding and mentoring faculty, staff, and students. Acute time management skills will serve the Dean well as they deal with multiple, competing priorities in a fluid and dynamic environment. The Dean joins a talented and motivated group of faculty. The Dean brings a record of research and grants as the new College looks to expand their activity.
The Dean of the new College of Health, Education and Human Sciences provides leadership and advocacy for strategic and fiscal planning; enrollment and curricular management; student recruitment and retention; program review and accreditation; faculty and staff recruitment, professional development, evaluation and retention; diversity and social equity; excellence in teaching, scholarship, creative activity, research, and professional application; and university and community relations. The Dean will foster interdisciplinary and interprofessional collaborations within the College, across campus, and in the community. The College of Health, Education and Human Sciences includes undergraduate and graduate programs in the Health Sciences, including the Carolyn McKelvey Moore School of Nursing; the School of Education; and Human Sciences, which includes Psychology and Social Work. Programs within the College are fully accredited by their respective professional accrediting bodies where applicable.
This position provides the opportunity to set and execute the strategic direction for the College, ensuring program compliance with state and national accreditation guidelines. Critical to success is a history of working with a dynamic and diverse team of university administrators, faculty, staff, and key stakeholders to implement and advance the University’s academic and research goals, and other associated initiatives and priorities.
Reporting to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the Dean leads a team consisting of an Associate Dean, two Department Heads, six Executive Directors, two Professional College Advisors, a Resource Center Coordinator, and an Assistant to the Dean.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises unit chairs/directors and faculty in formulating and implementing College goals and policy (25%)
- Responsible for strategic planning; program development; faculty/staff/student development and retention; enrollment management (20%)
- Relations with external constituencies; fundraising; collegiate partnership initiatives (20%)
- Resource allocation and budget management (15%)
- Oversee successful external accreditations (15%)
- Diversity awareness and planning (5%)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A management style of consensus building and teamwork
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience or familiarity with working within a multidisciplinary environment
- Experience with the self-study/reaffirmation processes for academic program accreditation
- Ability to encourage research and scholarship activities among faculty
- Interest in generating new revenue streams through fundraising, grants, and external partnerships
- Experience in successfully preparing for and developing growth opportunities, including new undergraduate and graduate programs
- Strong commitment to equity and inclusion in the recruitment and retention of faculty, staff, and students
- Commitment to and leadership in shared governance
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, policy development academic master planning and budget oversight
- Demonstrated ability to forge partnerships and build relationships with both campus and eternal constituencies (e.g. healthcare and behavioral health providers, P-16 schools and universities, employers)
- Earned terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution in one of the disciplines in the College
- Record of professional accomplishments and scholarship that meets the qualifications for appointment to the rank of professor in one of the programs in the College
- Experience as a dean or associate dean, or a minimum five years of experience in a department head or related higher educational administrative position supervising faculty in Health Sciences, Education or Human Sciences
- Evidence of raising/securing funds to support program initiatives
- Experience leading organizational change
- Record of working with interdisciplinary programs/initiatives
About the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith:
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a rich, vibrant learning environment for nearly 7,000 students each semester. Small class sizes allow students the opportunity to collaborate with their professors and peers and develop life-long professional connections with faculty who are experts in their fields.
UAFS’ beautiful 170-acre campus features 20 major buildings and the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. The University opened a 58,000 square-foot visual arts facility in the fall of 2015. A student-supported recreation and wellness center, featuring a rock-climbing wall, basketball, and volleyball courts, and state-of-the-art equipment, opened in the fall of 2016. Such projects initiated the 15-year transformation of the campus in accordance with the University’s updated master plan. These two buildings complement the University's top-notch amenities across campus, including a newly renovated library that boasts expansive areas for student use and vast collections of literature and academic resources. (Information taken from https://jobs.uafs.edu/)
With more than 60% of students arriving at UAFS from Sebastian and Crawford counties, the university is uniquely involved in the development of the region and exceptionally dedicated to advancing its quality of place.
UAFS aims to build its reputation as a regional destination for high-quality, affordable education, where diverse groups of aspirational students and faculty thrive and excel.
UAFS offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students to explore, innovate, and compete in the global workforce. An intentional focus on increasing evening, weekend, and online course options has afforded more access to adult learners, full time working students, and military and veteran students.
With state-of-the-art on-campus and digital-learning facilities, industry-standard training instrumentation, and cutting-edge research technology, UAFS offers students up-to-date, hands-on education focused on the future.
From application to commencement, UAFS also offers unrivaled support for students through comprehensive, one-on-one academic advising, innovative preemptive student support analysis, and a student-centered philosophy that has defined the institution since its founding in 1928.
Living in the Area:
Located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border and situated in a region of lakes, Fort Smith is the second-largest city in Arkansas and features a vast array of cultural activities, shopping, dining, and entertainment, including a thriving downtown entertainment district. Parks, trails, and water recreation are all within the city limits, and true outdoor enthusiasts will find the area’s lakes, streams, and mountains offer adventure only minutes away from campus. Fort Smith was recently named by Forbes as the number one city in America for cost of living, and a top city in the nation for highest-paying tech jobs. The city is within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Little Rock, and Memphis.
Submitting Your Application:
For best consideration, please apply by September 7, 2021.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and CV. You may apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjy13t0o
Inquiries and nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to Jennifer Muller, Managing Partner with Academic Career & Executive Search: [email protected].
Affirmative Action Statement. The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.