Public Safety Officer (Applicant Pool)
- Georgia Southwestern State University
- Americus, Georgia
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Safety & Security
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Location: Americus, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 229425
Georgia Southwestern State University – a four-year institution – cultivates excellence in learning and teaching that encourages intellectual, personal, and social growth for students, faculty, staff, and the community. Georgia Southwestern State University is a comprehensive state university within the University System of Georgia that offers a full range of bachelor degree programs, along with selected master’s and specialist degree programs.
Georgia Southwestern is committed to serving the needs of its developing region with educational programs for high school, for professional and technical graduates; post-graduate professional training; research and business services; and cultural enrichment. Through its national and international affiliations, the University links Southwest Georgia with the global economy and actively fosters a greater understanding of international business and culture.Job Summary This position is responsible for providing public safety assistance to the campus community. Responsibilities
- Maintains responsibility for security and safety of persons and property. (75%)Answers calls and complaints involving fire, traffic control, accidents, robberies, and other crimes.Conducts active patrol and police escorts.Patrols the campus grounds; checks doors, windows, gates, and parking lots to ensure security.Maintains training and qualifications.Attends MISC meetings.Conducts campus event security.Enforces traffic laws and assists in traffic control.Secures all buildings daily.
- Assists with investigations and maintains required documentation. (20%)Testifies and participates in court proceedings as needed.Prepares various records and reports.Investigates crimes against persons and property; collects evidence and secures crime scenes.
- Performs related duties. (5%)
- High school diploma or equivalent required.More than one year of related experience required.Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Police Standards and Training Council for the State of Georgia.
Please attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional reference.Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of standard police practices and techniques.Knowledge of campus properties, population, and traffic control problems.Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws.Knowledge of fire prevention techniques.Skill in decision-making under emergency conditions.Skill in the use and care of firearms.Skill in oral and written communications.Skill in emergency medical procedures.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at 229-931-2000 or by email at [email protected].
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or [email protected].Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating eligibility for employment with Georgia Southwestern State University, as determined by Georgia Southwestern State University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check and drug screen.Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southwestern State University is an equal opportunity employer. As such, the University takes affirmative action to preclude discrimination in recruiting, transferring, training and terminating of employees because of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, veterans status, disability or any other reason in accordance with applicable state and federal statutes, executive orders and other regulations which prohibit discriminatory employment practices.Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southwestern State University is an equal opportunity employer. As such, the University takes affirmative action to preclude discrimination in recruiting, transferring, training and terminating of employees because of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, veterans status, disability or any other reason in accordance with applicable state and federal statutes, executive orders and other regulations which prohibit discriminatory employment practices.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert