Job no: 508984
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: IT Engineering
Categories: Professional Staff Union (PSU), Computer & Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The IT Systems Engineer designs, installs, configures, and maintains network infrastructure, servers, systems, and services in a complex and diverse server environment. Responsible for infrastructure IT projects including planning, implementing and monitoring to achieve the required results within project timeframe. Develops and maintains custom scripts, programs and applications. Coordinates and performs advanced technology device/equipment/system configurations and technical support.
- Mentors, coaches and trains junior IT administrative staff on developing, designing, deploying and supporting enterprise class infrastructure systems and services.
- Works on multiple projects as a project leader to research, proposes and implements strategies in the migration and consolidation of complex distributed systems to a more centralized enterprise model. This may entail converting physical servers to virtual servers, facilitating the reconfiguration of networks and firewalls, and building and configuring centralized logging and monitoring solutions.
- Designs, installs, configures, analyzes, and supports complex networks, servers, systems, software, and services. Performs network configurations and implementations, troubleshoots, maintains and upgrades network systems and provides solutions to hardware and software problems. Recommends, plans, tests and implements network components, including servers, firewalls, routers, switches. Responsible for the integrity of networks, servers and systems to support 24x7 operations.
- Investigates, evaluates, recommends, acquires and integrates new technologies into existing University infrastructure to meet changing requirements and services provided.
- Participates in system security planning, development, and implementation of security policies across multiple platforms. Tasks will include developing network and application disaster recovery procedures and intrusion prevention and detection. Responsible for the secure configuration and maintenance of data. Follows University and Departmental policies related to the confidentiality and security of data.
- Maintains working knowledge of duties and responsibilities of other IT Systems Engineer staff sufficient to act in a general nature in their absence.
- Collaborates with other Information Technology groups, employing a high degree of tact and diplomacy to promote a positive image of the department. Resolves problem situations in a professional manner. Accurately and consistently communicate pertinent information to impacted stakeholders.
Other FunctionsPerforms related duties, as assigned or required, to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery, and other compliance requirements.Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students, and contribute to student success.Works collaboratively with other campus stakeholders to fulfill the mission of University of Massachusetts Information Technology.Understands responsibilities, with respect to conflicts of interest, and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace, defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.Understands and contributes to the implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public University related information only in the performance of responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)Bachelor’s degree in a related field. One (1) year of relevant experience may be substituted for every one (1) year of required academia. Plus four (4) years of professional experience providing network systems administration in either Windows or Linux enterprise environment.Technical knowledge of Active Directory, Group Policy, Exchange.Knowledge and experience with system scripting using technologies such as PowerShell, Perl, Bash.Project management experience.Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills.Interpersonal skills in order to deal effectively with customers, colleagues and other technical staff in a courteous and friendly manner.Knowledge and experience of security practices and principles.Willingness and proven ability to learn new systems, and keep abreast of new developments in the industry and that relate to our role in higher education.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)Technical knowledge of SQL, MySQL and/or IIS/Apache.Knowledge and experience working with virtualization environments and tools such as VMWare.Knowledge and experience working with system orchestration tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef.
Physical Demands/Working ConditionsTypical office environment activity.Must be able to lift or move bulky computer equipment or materials weighing up to 50 lbs.Participates in an on-call rotation for network and infrastructure issues and provides occasional on-call support for complex and critical computer application/network problems and issues.Requires occasional off hour and weekend response for system upgrades and to resolve critical network or computing problems.
Additional DetailsApplicant subject to background check information.
Work ScheduleTypical work schedule M-F 8:30am-5:00pmRequires some off hour and weekend response to meet deadlines, for system upgrades, to resolve critical problems, and for high profile business operations.
PSU Salary Chart
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit your online application and include a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references in order to ensure consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jun 24 2021 Eastern Daylight Time