First Application Review Date: June 22, 2021
This position serves as Chief Accounting Officer/Controller of Coconino Community College District and reports to the Executive Vice President. It manages the financial functions of the organization including accounting and finance, budget, grants, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and related functions. This is a full-time, 12 month, benefit eligible position.
The Human Resources Diversity Statement
The Human Resources Team commits to fostering a culture where each person, employee or not - feels heard, supported and engaged in a positive and empathetic way. We purposefully construct and nurture a focus upon community and inclusiveness. All lives matter regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ethnicity, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, age, immigration status, or location.
In HR, every experience matters, and it is our goal to make those experiences matter for you.
Title IX Disclaimer
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, states: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."
The goal of CCC is to provide an educational, employment, and business environment free of gender discrimination. Incidents of misconduct should be reported to the college Title IX Coordinator, as outlined in policy, contact information is available at this link: https://www.coconino.edu/title-ix
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes goals and objectives for the department and related functions, and assists in establishing goals and objectives for the Business & Administrative Services functional area.
- Supervises and trains assigned direct reports including making hiring and termination recommendations, conducting performance evaluations, championing a collaborative and positive workplace environment and carrying out disciplinary actions when necessary. Recommends efficiencies and oversees implementation of automation projects for the functional area.
- Responsible for allocating the necessary human and fiscal resources, including developing, monitoring, and approving budgetary expenditures for the functional area and related departments.
- Works collaboratively with other departments and the CCC Foundation.
- Responsible for coordination of the annual audit and preparing the Comprehensive Annual Financial Statements.
- Reviews and prepares recurring accounting schedules, and other financial reports for internal and external use.
- Tracks College bank and investment accounts and transfers funds as needed to meet financial obligations of the College while maximizing return on investments.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of accounting and financial processes to ensure compliance with College-wide accounting policies and procedures. Recommends new procedures and modifications to existing procedures when appropriate. Implements approved policy and procedures for accurate financial reporting and related functions. Advises and trains employees on policies, procedures, and operational guidelines.
- Represents the College, the department and related functions, in the following committees: Business & Administrative Services Team, Compensation, and the HR/ Payroll Team. Also interacts with various government and regulatory agencies, such as the State Auditor General’s Office, the State Comptroller’s Office, the County Treasurer, the County Tax Assessor, etc.
- Review of CCC Foundation books in preparation for annual audit and Form 990 completion. Assumes familiarity with not-for-profit accounting and taxation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Plays a key role in the development of the annual budget including making recommendations on budget modifications and meeting with Budget Managers as needed.
- Advises and makes recommendations to departments, College administration, or District Governing Board regarding departmental and/or district budgets. Assist in drafting the published budget document. Includes making presentations when required. Reviews and approves budget amendments.
- Provides support for the establishment and implementation of financial modeling programs for district-wide budgeting and reporting including evaluation, presentation, and control of all funds.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of the principles and techniques of budget processes, analysis, and development. Knowledge of fund accounting and program coding rules in compliance with the Financial Accounting and Reporting Manual, GAAP, and GASB. Knowledge of the principles and practices of supervision, training, and human resources management. Knowledge and skill using integrated software/administrative systems. Skill in using various computer programs, such as spreadsheets, word processing programs, and graphical presentation software; in oral, written, and interpersonal communication; and in organization and time management.
CPA or Master’s degree in Accounting, and 4 years of related experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job and/or as approved by the Human Resources department.
CPA. Experience in an educational setting. Experience with state of Arizona laws and taxes. Experience with grant accounting and compliance. Experience in a not-for-profit environment. Experience using the Ellucian Banner enterprise software/ administrative system. Experience with a variety of computer applications, including database management systems and Microsoft Excel expertise.