PG191013EPInternal Recruitment :
Department HeadAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience.Work Schedule:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
ChemistryAbout the Department:
The Department of Chemistry provides professional education for chemists at the undergraduate and graduate levels; teaches basic chemistry courses, which are needed by students enrolled in other department programs; advances the discipline of chemistry by conducting research; and serves the public by sharing information about chemistry through a variety of mechanisms and services.
The Department of Chemistry includes approximately 43 faculty, 160 graduate students, and 240 undergraduates involved in basic and applied chemical studies. The department offers BA, BS, MS, and PhD degrees. Our principal concentrations include physical, analytical, organic, energy/materials, and inorganic. Our programs include many tracks in each of our program areas – and thus provides the opportunity for an education broader than the conventional bachelors degrees in more traditional departments. Although our faculty are heavily involved in research, all courses in our majors are taught by faculty and all faculty are involved in teaching. Involvement of undergraduates and graduate students in research is a major emphasis.
For additional information regarding the department, visit our website: https://chemistry.sciences.ncsu.edu/.Essential Job Duties:
The Department of Chemistry in the College of Sciences at North Carolina State University (NC State) invites applications for the position of Department Head. The appointment will be at the level of a tenured full professor.
The NC State Department of Chemistry seeks an innovative leader with a creative sustainable vision for a multidisciplinary chemistry department at a large land-grant university. The department head must be committed to helping shape and further the strategic goals of an active and renowned program known for high-quality research and education. The department head will provide visionary direction to the department and will embrace a collegial management and leadership style that utilizes input from faculty, staff, and students in making critical decisions.
Reporting to the Dean, the Department Head, serving as the department’s academic leader and administrative officer, will provide direction to the department and will be called upon to:
- Create an environment that facilitates an effective shared vision;
- Proactively lead departmental academic, research and outreach activities in the context of a broad vision of chemistry;
- Promote an inclusive and culturally competent environment with a strong commitment to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty, staff, and students;
- Promote, recognize, and reward faculty research; excellence in teaching and mentoring; and excellence in outreach including communicating science to the public and enhancing K-12 science;
- Provide programs and opportunities for students to develop research and leadership skills;
- Effectively link programs within the department to the broader college and university missions;
- Foster a culture of high-impact interdisciplinary research and collaboration within the college and build partnerships and alliances across the university;
- Provide leadership in advancing departmental and college academic excellence within the university as well as relative to peer institutions;
- Provide leadership in developing external partnerships as well as fundraising in support of the department’s mission and goals;
- Continue a nationally and internationally recognized research program and to demonstrate strong abilities in teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels for chemistry.
Inclusiveness and diversity are integral to NC State’s commitment to excellence in research, engagement, and education. We are particularly interested in candidates who have demonstrated experience engaging with diversity through activities such as fostering an inclusive environment, working with students and employees from diverse backgrounds, and incorporating diverse perspectives in research.Other Responsibilities:
The candidate is expected to continue a nationally and internationally recognized research program and to demonstrate strong abilities in teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels for chemistry.Minimum Education and Experience:
Other Required Qualifications:
- Candidates must possess a PhD and postdoctoral experience in Chemistry or a related scientific field.
- Professor with tenure with an outstanding record of accomplishment in research, teaching, supervision, and administration.
- Strong candidates are expected to have had, and continue to have, an active and extramurally-funded research program
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills.
- Must possess the effective communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills and a leadership vision that will advance the impact and reputation of the Department of Chemistry nationally and internationally.
- Ability to work collaboratively and productively with a diverse body of stakeholders and interdisciplinary groups;
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering an environment of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A record of collegial and productive interactions with faculty, staff and students
- Demonstrated successful research mentorship of faculty and trainees.
- Interest and enthusiasm for mentorship, particularly with regard to guiding junior faculty toward successful careers in research, teaching and service.
- Experience and enthusiasm for innovative pedagogy and teaching excellence.
- Demonstrated administrative skills and experience.
- Understanding of the land-grant university system with the ability to build partnerships inside and outside of the University.
N/ARequired License(s) or Certification(s):
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
06/15/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open until filled; review of applications will begin on October 15, 2021.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will begin on October 15, 2021.
In addition to your application, please submit the following:
- Statement of qualifications and vision for leading the Chemistry Department (Other Document 1)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Contact information for a minimum of three professional references
- Individual statement of teaching
- Individual statement of research
- Individual statement of commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (Other Document 2).
Please direct all nominations and inquiries to Dr. Lewis Owen at [email protected] with the position’s title in the subject line.
To view the Chemistry Department Head Job Prospectus, please visit https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a6mHO_yAGYS0Ky0hVLGvPRR2mdJx6z7_/view?usp=sharingPosition Number:
Tenured/Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
170701 - ChemistryAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.