Human Resources SpecialistAnticipated Hiring Range:
$42,000 - $55,000Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8am-5pmJob Location:
Office of Research & Innovation (ORI)About the Department:
The Office of Research & Innovation (ORI) supports research, scholarship, and creative activities of the NC State community, facilitates a collaborative research and innovation environment, and translates results into social, economic, and technological development across North Carolina and around the world.
- ORI supports the NC State community by identifying strategic research areas and specific funding sources, assisting in proposal development, providing professional development, encouraging partnerships, and providing administrative oversight and support services.
- ORI facilitates an efficient and collaborative research and innovation environment by maximizing access to existing resources, identifying needs, coordinating activities to secure new resources, and promoting an interdisciplinary research culture.
- ORI translates results by licensing IP, leveraging resources, launching start-up companies, communicating the value of our work, and fostering partnerships that lead to social, economic, and technological development.
- ORI is responsible for central units supporting the university’s sponsored research enterprise. Additionally, ORI is comprised of 13 cross-disciplinary centers and institutes, including two extension institutes/centers.
This position will be housed within the Integrated Support Service Center, which is responsible for providing proposal, financial and administrative support for ORI’s central units, centers and institutes as well as principal investigators across the university who are not affiliated with a college research office. Streamlining these services eliminates costly duplication and creates efficiencies.
For more information about ORI and ISSC, please visit: https://research.ncsu.edu/about/Essential Job Duties:
The HR Business Coordinator handles details of a highly confidential and critical nature. A high level of professionalism, confidentiality, follow-through, and attention to detail is required. Candidates for the position must have a proven ability to independently manage multiple tasks and HR functions with competing deadlines and priorities. The HR Business Coordinator will assist the HR Director by carrying out HR and financial administrative tasks in ORI’s subsidiary units and Core Centers and Institutes. This position works closely with the HR Director and is responsible for performing a variety of personnel transactions across all funding sources in accordance with the State of North Carolina and NCSU guidelines.
Key responsibilities include:
- Timekeeping and Leave Administration using the University’s electronic timekeeping and leave system
- Oversee and manage the temporary and biweekly hiring process for all units in ORI
- Assist with ORI onboarding of EHRA/SHRA employees by creating offer letters, entering PeopleSoft and PeopleAdmin actions, as well as updating logs, charts and email contacts.
- Keep track of and enter FML actions
- Manage and oversee the performance management process for SHRA, EHRA, and Postdoc employees
- Coordinate and organize ORI HR Retreats (at least twice per year) as well as ad hoc trainings/information sessions for managers and employees
- Schedule interviews and handle the logistics for ORI high level or internal ORI recruitments including the coordination of travel and processing reimbursements
- Work with the HR Director to provide effective guidance and direction to managers/supervisors, as needed for various HR matters
- Work with other ISSC team members to facilitate effective processes, maintain internal workflow and coordinate resource management, client management and project communications.
- Prepares ad hock reports for the AVC and ORI leadership
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience/Education:
Bachelor’s degree; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Other Required Qualifications:
Working knowledge of human resources process and procedures (such as recruitment, classification, compensation, policy administration, staff development, organizational culture enhancement, and/or HR information systems).
Ability to effectively communicate and interact with all levels of University staff and administration.
Experience working in a large complex organization
Excellent oral and written communication skills, sound business judgment, tact and diplomacy and the ability to interact with personnel at all levels of the division and university.
Ability to work independently and be able to multi-task.
Ability to relate to people and develop/maintain productive and collaborative work relationships in order to facilitate effective services, as well as resolve problems
Working knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulation (e.g., FLSA, FMLA, ADA) and prior experience in consulting with clients regarding recruitment, hiring and position classification.
Demonstrate a “Can Do” customer service mentality and have the ability to dissect a problem and offer a viable and logical solution
Demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement, to include the use of contemporary applicable technology (hardware, software, equipment and processes).
Proficient in Mircrsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, and Google applications, or similar software systems.Preferred Qualifications:
Experience in a higher education and/or research-driven environment, especially with regards to human resources.
Prefer knowledge of the following programs: PeopleSoft, PeopleAdmin7 System
Knowledge of NCSU accounting rules and standards for state funding; able to communicate best practices to customersRequired License or Certification:
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
06/23/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information of three professional references, including email addresses and phone numbers
Please make sure the work history listed on your application matches the work history provided on your resume.Position Number:
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Human Resources SpecialistPosition Classification Band Level:
JourneyPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $64,530Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
060101 - Office of Research & Innovation (ORI)AA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.