Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs at Northwestern University Qatar
Northwestern University in Qatar is seeking an experienced, collaborative, and faculty-oriented leader and distinguished scholar for the newly created full-time position of Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs.
Northwestern Qatar is an embedded institution: it is one of three campuses of Northwestern University (Chicago, Doha, Evanston) and one of several institutions in the Qatar Foundation’s Education City in Doha, Qatar. We offer undergraduate programs in Communication, Journalism and Strategic Communication, and Liberal Arts, in addition to graduate and executive education. The defining mission of Northwestern Qatar is to mentor and educate students to become creative, ethical, and impactful communicators. Northwestern Qatar is deeply committed to a vibrant student life and high-level undergraduate student research and media-making, particularly on the Global South. Located at the confluence of continents, Northwestern Qatar is a diverse, active, global community with 450 students from 59 countries.
The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs is a member of Northwestern Qatar’s senior leadership team and has overall responsibility for matters affecting faculty roles, such as recruitment, mentoring and professional development, retention, and promotion. Duties include supervising hiring, overseeing orientation of new faculty members, mentoring and supporting junior faculty members in securing promotion, providing overall support to faculty, coordinating professional development activities for faculty, ensuring equity in faculty compensation and support, handling faculty personnel actions, and overall mentorship. The role also provides leadership in developing a new plan for systematizing contracts and procedures for Northwestern Qatar faculty, most of whom are Non-Tenure Eligible. The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs reports to the Senior Associate Dean and Chief Academic Officer, with a dotted line to the Dean and Chief Executive Officer. The position is also our direct liaison to the Northwestern University Associate Provost for Faculty.
This is a senior faculty position. Candidates must have a distinguished record of scholarly and/or creative accomplishments that makes them eligible for appointment to a senior faculty position in Communication, Journalism, or Liberal Arts. Research program should be global, transnational, or comparative and should include the Arab World, Africa, Asia, or Latin America. Candidates are encouraged to continue pursuing their research program.
- Work collaboratively with the Dean and Chief Executive Officer, the Senior Associate Dean and Chief Academic Officer, the Chief Operations Officer, and other Northwestern Qatar leaders to improve faculty life and performance, the learning environment, and the overall climate.
- Develop a coordinated vision and strategy for faculty recruitment, mentoring, retention and promotion and oversee all faculty personnel actions.
- Serve as the primary contact for faculty.
- Foster the continual improvement and management of faculty roles at Northwestern Qatar.
- Help foster a vibrant academic life at Northwestern Qatar.
- Oversee relevant aspects of faculty exchanges.
- Serve as the liaison to the Northwestern University Associate Provost for Faculty.
- Represent Northwestern Qatar and coordinate services with the Northwestern University Office of Equity.
- Collaborate with peers at Education City and Qatar Foundation.
- Evidence of successful leadership in the recruitment and mentoring of faculty.
- Leadership experience with global, U.S.-style educational institutions, particularly but not exclusively in the Arab world.
- Distinguished record of scholarship appropriate for a senior faculty appointment.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and commitment to collaboration, with the ability to inspire and motivate faculty.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and complete long-range strategic goals and priorities, with excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions using good judgment and creative problem-solving.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to be proactive, take ownership of assigned responsibilities, work with little supervision and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of Arabic or other relevant languages and experience with global education desirable.
Applications received by August 15, 2021, will receive the highest priority. The search will continue until the position is filled or the search is closed.
To apply, please upload the following:
- Cover letter including how the applicant’s experience and credentials align with this position.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement discussing the candidate’s experience and philosophy of working with diverse faculty groups across a varied research agenda in a cross-disciplinary research environment, including relevant international workplace influences.
- Names and contact details of 3-5 references.
Please read ALL instructions and prepare before proceeding to the application page:
- Applications will only be accepted via online submission (see link below).
- Please prepare all documents in advance as Adobe PDF files and please be sure all information is entered accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been submitted.
- All required fields in the application form are marked with an asterisk and must be filled in before clicking the “Submit” button.
- Be aware that incomplete applications cannot be saved.
Application URL: https://facultyrecruiting.northwestern.edu/apply/MTA5Nw==
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and does not discriminate against qualified individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, marital status, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected class. Individuals from all diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States. For more information, please see the University’s Policy on Institutional Equity at https://www.northwestern.edu/equity/documents/policy-on-institutional-equity.pdf.