Job no: 495783About Us:
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Administration and Business Operations
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
The position has management responsibility for the delivery of consulting and training services in the SW Idaho region including management of the Nampa and Boise Business Accelerators.Department Overview:
Be part of a team where the work is exciting and challenging, where everyone is needed to do their part. We are the Idaho SBDC (Small Business Development Center) and we empower small business success by providing no-cost, confidential consulting and low-cost training to entrepreneurs throughout Idaho.Level Scope:
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approachesEssential Functions:
60% of the time the Region Director must:
- Create an environment for high productivity, teamwork, and satisfaction where employees understand expectations, are given routine feedback, and are engaged in strategy.
- Manage Idaho Small Business Development Center’s Region III delivery of consulting and training to assist small businesses in SW Idaho.
- Oversee the management of the Nampa and Boise Business Accelerators assuring that services meet client needs, goals are met, and the enterprise is financially sound.
- Evaluate the success of consulting and training to determine client satisfaction and impact of consulting.
- Engage economic development and business partners to leverage SBDC’s impact and to reduce duplicative programs.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all client information. Identify any potential conflict of interest in the region and resolves the issue with the client, other consultants, and the state director.
- Manage the hiring process for new employees and make the final decision on new hires
- Review training evaluations to determine effectiveness of training programs, quality of instructors and integration with consulting activities.
35% of the time the Region Director must:
- Building awareness with key referral partners, understanding resources available to business, and meeting reporting requirements.
- Consult and coach entrepreneurs and small business owners in business principles and areas of business management to increase their skills and business performance.
- Oversee the Nampa Business Accelerator (38,000 sq/ft) and Boise Business Accelerator (5,000 sq/ft).
- Manage regional budget and expenses responsibly.
- Assures the implementation of the Idaho SBDC Strategic Plan and the Regional Action Plan in 10 counties in Southwest Idaho.
- Ensure the Idaho SBDC attracts clients who will make an economic impact, that there is a good flow of client referrals, and that there is awareness of the Idaho SBDC with key stakeholders and referral partners.
- Develop and maintain contacts with economic development leaders in all the counties within the region to assure small business needs are met.
- Captures critical client information in the Management Information System.
5% Duties as Assigned Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to effectively problem solve
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to think strategically and motivate others
- The ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders, partners, audiences, small businesses and elected officials.
- Consulting, problem solving, and computer literacy.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years experience or equivalent including 5 years managerial experiencePreferred Qualifications:
Salary and Benefits:
- Master's Degree or Equivalent in Business
- 5 years experience operating a small business
- 5 years experience managing and leading a team with proven results
Salary starts at $87,170 depending on experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Please provide a cover letter indicating interest and qualifications and a resume with employment history.
Advertised: June 22, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time
Applications close: August 6, 2021 11:55 PM Mountain Daylight Time