Chair and Program Director/Assistant ProfessorSchool/Division:
Hofstra Northwell School of Nursing and Physician Assistant StudiesOffice:
Department of Physician AssistantFull-Time or Part-Time:
Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.Description:
The Hofstra Northwell School of Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies requests applications from qualified individuals for a full time Chair and Program Director, Physician Assistant Studies and Assistant Professor position. The Chair and Program Director will lead the Physician Assistant Studies Program (Program) accreditation efforts in assuring compliance with Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). The ideal candidate is a masters prepared, NCCPA certified Physician Assistant, experientially qualified to assume leadership responsibility for the program.
Reporting to the Dean of the School of Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, as the Chair and Program Director you will ultimately supervise clinical and instructional coordination. You will also work collaboratively with the medical director, associated academic program faculty, other inter-professional faculty and staff throughout the School of Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies to continually evaluate, improve and deliver the curriculum with innovative and high-quality graduate education instructional strategies. This is a year round/twelve-month position.
• Assists in ensuring compliance with Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) Program’s Standards, policies, and guidelines.
• Assists the Dean with strategic and operational leadership for the Program by exhibiting responsiveness to issues related to personnel, strong communication skills, and proactive problem solving.
• Responsible for ongoing program organization, administration, fiscal management, continuous quality programmatic review and analysis, program planning, and program development
• Promote the effectiveness and quality of instruction, be responsible for evaluation of the department faculty, promote the effective integration of curriculum in the department, maintain liaison between the department's faculty and students on the one hand, and the Dean on the other, advise the Dean regarding the state of the department, including its needs, its activities, and its future plans, survey and evaluate trends in the academic discipline so as to maintain and improve the quality of the department curriculum and teaching methodology.
• Review and evaluation of department course offerings and major and minor programs, and recommendations for the initiation of new courses and programs when advisable
• Reviews student applications and communicating with applicants regarding the application process.
• Conducts interviews with applicants as part of the admissions committee.
• Oversees the coordination the clinical program, including scheduling with clinical instructors during the orientation process, determining student sites, and evaluation of clinical sites.
• Facilitate continuous performance improvement using data driven protocols and feedback for program improvement, including develop and implement systems to track program quality metrics and indicators
• Designate available time to the provision of teaching and scholarship with the Hofstra Northwell School of Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies
• Performs clinical and didactic evaluation of students.
• Promotes faculty development and scholarship
• Serves as administrative advisor for all PA students
• Coordinates activities and committees to ensure stated program goals are achieved.
• Participates in University committees and attends School of Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies Faculty meetings.
• Contributes to an environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
• Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed and demonstrates knowledge of environmental issues that influence the program and nurse anesthesia practice by engaging in professional development.
• Supports the program by performing all other duties as assigned; clinical time may not encumber program time and can be a maximum of 0.2 FTE. At least 80% of the Chair and Program Director’s time must be devoted to academic and administrative responsibilities in support of the program.Qualifications:
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
•A terminal degree in the field of Physician Assistant Studies at a minimum of a master’s degree is required from an accredited institution of higher education. Doctoral degree in a healthcare-related field is preferred.
•Certifications/Licensure: Current NCCPA certification or emeritus NCCPA certification status as a physician assistant and hold a current unencumbered license or privilege to practice as a registered physician assistant in the state of New York is required.
•Minimum of three years of full-time higher education experience at the time of appointment required. Minimum of five years of clinical practice as a Physician Assistant is required.
•Administrative and leadership experience required. Experience with ARC-PA accreditation preferred
•Proven ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
•Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as both a team leader and team member.
•Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills.
•Proficiency in educational adult learning pedagogies including developing, mapping and planning curriculum
•Ability to establish effective partnerships within departments at the university and community levelsApplication Instructions:
Application and Contacts:
Hofstra University offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits including tuition remission and retirement plan. For consideration, please send a cover letter and curriculum vitae to:
Hofstra Northwell School of Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies
Attention: Kathleen Gallo, Dean
160 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549
Phone: (516) 463-7489
Email: [email protected]
Diversity Statement: Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.Voluntary Self-IdentificationAll applicants are invited to complete the three (3) voluntary self-identification formsDeadline:
Open until filledDate Posted: