Office Support SpecialistPosition Number:
00002269Working Position Title:
Office Support Specialist (EXTENDED)Posting Type:
Kinesiology & Physical EducPrimary Function:
This employee provides logistical support for the KNPE programs and faculty. Primarily, this position will provide office clerical support, serve as a main office receptionist, provide advising and scheduling support, and serve to oversee facilities, equipment, and inventory in the building. The individual in this role will work collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students to ensure that program needs and departmental operations are follow best practices.
The employee in this position is supervised by the Department Administrative Aide; however, the employee is ultimately responsible to the Chair of the Department of Kinesiology & Physical Education.Duties and Responsibilities (generally):
Office Clerical Support
•Answer department telephone; serve as receptionist in main department office; assure adherence to established work priorities; promote positive public relations with students, parents, the public, and faculty.
•Answer general questions regarding the department and the programs.
•Assist faculty with items related to classes, students and research.
•Assist with departmental budgeting, scheduling, and personnel actions.
Advising and Scheduling Support
•Schedule advising appointments.
•Assist faculty with scheduling rooms related to classes, labs, and research.
•Assist advisers as needed.
•Assign locks and lockers; keep an accurate data base of locks, lockers & lock combinations.
•Prepare equipment for classes.
•Maintain organization and cleanliness of the equipment room.
•Work with the Office Administrator regarding equipment purchasing.
•Prepare spaces for classes and rentals.
•Manage inventory for equipment located in Anderson Hall.
Miscellaneous Minimum Required Qualifications for this position:
•Perform other related duties, not listed above, that are deemed necessary for the department to function normally.
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. One (1) year (12 months) of work experience at a comparable position
3. Any one or any combination of the following, totaling two (2) years (24 months) of experience in the categories below:Education and Experience Preferred:
A. work experience performing office/clerical activities, including use of computer systems
B. college or university course work in any curriculum
- twelve (12) semester hours = six (6) months
- twenty-four (24) semester hours = twelve (12) months
- thirty-six (36) semester hours = eighteen (18) months
- forty-eight (48) semester hours = twenty-four (24) months
-List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.:
1. Advanced computer skills, in addition to thorough knowledge of office proceduresWorking Hours:
2. Knowledge of correct grammatical construction, punctuation, spelling
3. Ability to promote a welcoming and positive public image for the department
4. Strong interpersonal skills to maintain positive relations with students and faculty
5. Excellent organizational skills to effectively complete a variety of tasks independently
6. Knowledge of university operating policies and procedures
7. Knowledge of the college environment and specifically, physical education facilities and purposes is important to learn if not already known
Mon - Fri, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly):
$11.43/hourHiring Rate Information:
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.Posting Date:
07/07/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
Link to Department Homepage:
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected]. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION. At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE: If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Office Support Specialist for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Department of Kinesiology and Physical EducationPhysical Demands:
Must be able to lift 20 poundsEEO Statement:
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX CoordinatorIs Background Check Required:
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education (AAEOE) at [email protected].Clery Act Information:
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.Quick Link: