Description of Basic Functions and Responsibilities Overview:
The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District (Shasta College) sits at the northern end of the Sacramento Valley, surrounded by mountains to the north, east, and west. The area provides a wide array of outdoor amenities and activities with miles of hiking and biking trails, national parks, two lakes, and the Sacramento River.
Shasta College is committed to providing its diverse student population with equitable education outcomes, contributing to the social, cultural, intellectual, and economic development of our communities. The college has been recognized as a leader in developing and implementing innovative education programs to increase student success, including accelerated pathways for high school students to achieve a bachelor's degree and for returning students to complete their Associate and Bachelor's degrees. Shasta College enrolls more than 11,000 students annually and provides educational services to students with a wide range of skills and abilities.
Our ideal candidate is motivated to join a campus community prioritizing the success of our racially and socio-economically diverse staff and student population. Providing equitable outcomes so all members of our community may enjoy safe, healthy, and vibrant educational and employment environments is critical to our success.
Classified positions in the California Community College system offer a unique opportunity to contribute to the empowerment of our students seeking to improve their lives and communities. Our classified staff engage with a diverse employee and student populations, facilitating equitable outcomes for all by implementing and supporting our various employment and academic programs. As a classified staff member at Shasta College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive, healthy educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives. A career in classified service at Shasta College offers a highly rewarding and enriching employment experience.ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
SCAILE (Shasta College Attainment and Innovation Lab for Equity) is a new effort at Shasta College where policy, practice, inquiry and applied research are integrated to foster innovation in educational attainment and the reduction of equity gaps with a spotlight on the changing dynamics of rural communities.
This position will support SCAILE by enhancing research efforts and through support of key office functions including budgets, reporting and communications.DESCRIPTION OF BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Research Technician distributes, collects, presents, maintains, and processes various research data and records in support of the District's Office of Research and Planning. The incumbent performs administrative support including entering information into computer systems, filing, and record keeping in support of research related programs and operations. Employees in this classification receive limited supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures. Employees in this classification may train, monitor, and review the work products of other staff for timeliness, accuracy, and compliance with established procedures. This job class is responsible for working collaboratively with other District departments and divisions in the distribution, collection, preliminary interpretation, and processing of research data and reports within established policies and procedures.CLASSIFICATION:
Range 33 on the current Classified Salary Schedule, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year. Work assignment hours are 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 PM., Monday through Friday.SUPERVISOR:
Dean of Innovation and Strategic Initiativesor designeeBENEFITS:
Holiday, vacation and sick time will be provided. Our competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalPERS Retirement and an employee assistance program (EAP).
Employees have the option to contribute to:
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- 403(b) and 457 Retirement Plans
- Section 125 Plan including Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) and Dependent Day Care Accounts
In addition, employees have the option to purchase:
- Disability Income Insurance
- Cancer Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Accident Only Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
For more information regarding Employment and Benefit Policies, please view the Classified Employee Collective Bargaining Agreement
.Typical Duties, Knowledge and Ability TYPICAL DUTIES
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDSKnowledge of:Standard English vocabulary, grammar, spelling, punctuation, typing, and filing procedures.Modern office procedures, methods, and practices.Functions and operations of computer database, word processing, and spreadsheet software.Web based search methods.
- Exercises independent judgment; relieves a mid-level administrator of actions not requiring their immediate attention.
- Serves as a liaison between assigned office and those divisions/departments reporting to it.
- Performs varied and responsible clerical duties to assist in the coordination and processing of routine administrative operations.
- Organizes, plans, prioritizes, and processes work through the office.
- Uses computers to type, review, compile, and record various data and information sources within an assigned office.
- Prepares a wide variety of material such as interoffice communications, correspondence, internal promotional materials, brochures, requisitions, forms, letters, reports, schedules, lists, statistics, special projects, instructional materials, and specifications from rough drafts or verbal instructions and independently composes correspondence.
- Prepares reports from compiled data and records within established policies and procedures.
- Establishes and maintains a variety of office records, logs, and filing systems pertaining to assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Receives, reviews, and verifies documents, records, and forms for accuracy, completeness, and conformance to applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Receives, sorts, and distributes outgoing and incoming mail, prioritizing and designating appropriate responses whenever possible and responding to correspondence as directed.
- Develops forms, worksheets, and record keeping systems for the collection, dissemination, and maintenance of needed information for specialized programs and functions within assigned unit.
- Performs special reports or researches issues as requested.
- Assists in the distribution, collection, processing, preliminary evaluation, presentation, and maintenance of college research projects and operations data and information.
- Coordinates, schedules, conducts, and distributes student course evaluations in accordance with institutional policies and procedures.
- Assembles and assists in the collection and preliminary interpretation of field data relative to state and federal reports.
- Coordinates research requests, follows up on current status, and facilitates timely completion.
- Assists in monitoring the work products of part-time temporary classified staff on student evaluations of instructional staff and other data collection activities.
- Locates and extracts information from various reports and literature to document Research Office projects.
- Conducts media searches, including the use of web and library resources, and extracts information to fulfill data requests and other Research Office projects.
- Monitors and documents data collection procedures and processes.
- Maintains accurate research files and records.
- Prepares and processes a variety of forms, documents, records, questionnaires, and surveys related to research projects; receives, tallies, and/or logs documents received.
- Provides technical assistance and information to users for the Assessment Management System and other research tools (Area Plans, SLO's, on-line STOTS).
- Represents users' interests during research-related requirements analysis and development tasks.
- Develops and designs user-friendly screens for applications and insures screens meet user requirements within established policies and procedures.
- Develops queries and reports to meet users' standard and ad-hoc reporting needs within established policies and procedures.
- Works collaboratively with users to define reporting and data analysis needs.
- Develops and maintains technical specifications, user manuals, technical bulletins, and other user documentation.
- Coordinates and independently initiates operational and system improvements to increase efficiencies and simplify administrative applications.
- Provides District wide support, training, and regular updates to all users on changes, fixes, and work in progress.
- Consults with administrators in developing reports of varying complexity and analyzes and provides input on system and application issues to the appropriate departments and personnel.
- Performs other related duties similar to the above in scope and function as required.
- Utilizing data sets, databases, data query, and data extraction.
- Research design methods, descriptive and inferential statistics, and analytical and research strategies including survey research methods.
- Community college research and survey techniques.
Experience/Education QUALIFICATIONS:Education/Experience Required:
- Compose and generate routine correspondence.
- Learn quantitative methods including statistical concepts.
- Maintain accurate files and records.
- Type, file and operate typical office machines accurately.
- Effectively communicate, orally and in writing.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive data/information.
- Work independently, be organized and detail oriented.
- Use software manuals effectively to learn new procedures and trouble shoot issues.
- Learn district policies and procedures related to research activities and operations.
- Perform quantitative calculations accurately within established timelines.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other, including those from diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and ability backgrounds.
- Learn and use Enterprise Resource Planning systems concepts and products.
- Collect and organize pertinent data and information.
- Principles of database structure and design.
- Operations, equipment, procedures, and formats used in information processing.
- Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- Principles, practices, and techniques of training and providing technical instructions to stakeholders.
- Learn from errors, determine appropriate corrective action, and prevent repeated occurrences.
- AA degree or equivalent education, training, and experience.
Additional Information Online Application
- Direct experience working in an institutional research environment.
with Additional Preferred Materials
to be attached to application:
- Cover letter addressing criteria listed in the position announcement
- Current resume
- College transcripts (unofficial will be accepted at the time of application)
New Classified Appointments will be placed at Step 1 on the Classified Salary Schedule and will graduate to the next step on July 1st if the hire date is on or before January 1, with subsequent steps annually thereafter to a maximum fifth step.
- After application has been submitted, all application materials will be screened.
- Internal candidates must also submit all required materials to be considered.
- Candidate evaluations will not be considered.
- Reference letters from any member of the Hiring Committee or Board Members will not be considered.
- Interviews will be by invitation only.
- The District does not provide expense reimbursement for those invited to initial interviews.
- The District does not reimburse for new hire moving expenses.
Longevity pay in accordance with Section 8.8 of the Classified Employee Collective Bargaining Agreement
. The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District ("Shasta College") does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religious preference, age, disability (physical and mental), pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, sexual orientation, genetics, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Shasta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency