Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
The Multimedia and support specialist is responsible for the operational support of audiovisual equipment and other information technologies used by Pratt School of Engineering. The position provides a support contact for faculty, students, staff and other users of Pratt AV supported areas such as classrooms, conference rooms, and mobile devices.
Support is provided for setup and takedown of equipment for multimedia events, primary equipment maintenance, emergency troubleshooting support, and operational support as needed.
Additionally, this position provides training to the users of the equipment, assists with new system integration and design, and system troubleshooting, as well as working with Pratt IT support group and OIT to maintain the network status of rooms and computers in the system.
This position reports to the Director, IT for the Pratt School of Engineering.
- Provide primary support for AV equipped Pratt spaces. This includes scheduling, training, checking out equipment, and other user communication as needed to support facility, staff and students. Troubleshoot problems with equipment, including making diagnoses of and rapid response to problems facing users of AV equipment. Hardware may include digital projectors, amps, speaker systems, microphones, cameras, computer systems, AV control processors and interfaces and other equipment as needed. Conduct basic repairs and maintenance of AV equipment as necessary and feasible; initiates contractor response as necessary to ensure equipment readiness. Estimated percentage of effort/time 50%
- Provide ongoing routine preventive maintenance on the equipment on a monthly basis, and more frequent spot checks as needed. Estimated percentage of effort/time 10%
- Support video teleconferencing with installed VTC equipment in Pratt spaces as needed. Support web conferencing needs for classes and individuals as necessary. Provide area administration and oversight of digital capture systems in assigned zone, including the timely schedule of events and making necessary post-capture adjustments to the files. Estimated percentage of effort/time 10%
- Design or assist in designing AV systems that adhere to Duke standards and meet the customer’s needs. Create equipment lists and provide all relevant information to Manager regarding potential upgrades or new projects. Estimated percentage of effort/time 5%
- Assist with AV equipment installations in a variety of spaces, including conference rooms, classrooms, lecture halls, and offices, as well as digital signage and other areas as needed. Installations may include transportation, unboxing, software configuration/programming, and physical installation of a range of AV devices and accessories. Adhere to local building and fire codes, manufacturer installation requirements, and Duke standards for all installation procedures. Estimated percentage of effort/time 5%
- Advise the Manager of departmental AV technology needs during the budget planning process and assess new equipment offered by AV contractors and suppliers. Evaluate and make recommendations based on classroom technology usage, and client feedback. Estimated percentage of effort/time 5%
- Promote good working relationships with the faculty and staff, and with local support personnel who provide event support within their departments. Estimated percentage of effort/time 15%
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Bachelor’s degree in information or instructional technologies or multimedia-related fields experience in support of educational media, media event support, or media integration.
Significant experience not required if there is degree work in a related field, however, experience in technical support is highly preferred. Must have hands-on experience in AV integrations, and be familiar with industry standards as well as fundamental trade skills including basic hand and power tools, ladders, etc.
Experience in higher education and instructional technologies, particularly with integrated systems. Experience with Extron and Crestron control systems, particularly Extron control system coding. Technician may receive Extron certification training. Other desirable experience includes, digital editing software such as Adobe Creative Cloud, or similar, experience with networking, web conferencing tools and video teleconferencing equipment is a plus, and familiarity with both Mac and PC environments is preferred.
Certifications are preferred but not required (such as from Chief, Biamp, Extron, Crestron, Vaddio, etc.).
Technical skills desired:
- Video-conferencing hardware, software and networking protocols (Polycom VSX 8000 codec, Cisco Telepresence, etc.)
- Video-over-IP hardware, software and protocols (VOD, multicast, broadcast)
- Digital video production and editing software and hardware (Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Suite)
- Run cabling through walls, ceilings, floors and other building structure.
- Terminate cables with required connectors using solder, compression, crimp, and other termination methods.
- Mount screens, projectors, displays, speakers and other AV equipment from wall or ceiling structure.
- Perform basic testing of cables and equipment to ensure proper termination and proper system performance.
- Digital audio production and post-production
Other skills desired:
• Thorough understanding of IT and multimedia needs in academic and administrative environments.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize appropriately
• Comfortable working with a wide range of clients, including international visitors.
• Excellent time-management and organizational skills
• Exceptional customer service skills, including verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team in a fast paced environment
This position requires a flexible work schedule.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds and unpack, shelve and shift desktop computers and peripherals
- Must be able to work in an environment in which exposure to materials containing dust and mold is possible
- Frequent bending, crouching, stooping
- Normal office environment
- May require occasional evenings and weekends to facilitate major project completion and/or support of Pratt School Events and Seminars.
Bachelor's Degree is required, related field preferred.
Generally requires one year experience, preferably within an academic environment, or organization working on information technologies in education OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.