Earlham College invites applications for the position of Public Safety Officer in the Department of Public Safety. This is a Full-Time, hourly staff position (Min 40 hours per week) with a $15/hr. pay rate and full benefits package including:
- Health Insurance
- Paid Vacation/Sick Time
- Access to Wellness Center
- Admission to Campus Events
- Tuition Remission Program available upon completion of 2 years employment
This position works Night Shift 6 p.m. – 6 a.m. Officers primarily work 12 hour shifts on a 3-2-3-2 rotation with every other weekend off. Officers may be assigned to other shifts as needed.
Primary duties & responsibilities
- Patrol and observe all areas of the campus.
- Assist in maintaining a safe environment for students, employees and visitors.
- Secure and protect the buildings, equipment and other assets of the College.
- Provide prompt, qualified assistance in emergency and non-emergency situations
- Perform parking enforcement.
- Perform investigations of incidents and prepare detailed accurate incident reports.
- Monitor and respond to all campus alarm systems (fire, security, etc.).
- Answer all Public Safety phones (emergency and non-emergency) and initiate necessary response.
- Answer incoming calls received through the campus switchboard and forward to appropriate office or provide information as needed.
- Monitor all campus alarm systems (fire, security, etc.).
- Maintain necessary communications with patrol officers, as well as local law enforcement, fire department and emergency medical personnel as needed.
- Maintain necessary shift logs.
- Utilize departments computer records management system for reports and data entry.
- Provide front desk assistance to students, employees and visitors of the College, which may include but not be limited to issuing parking permits, ID cards and keys.
Experience & qualifications
- Attainment of high school diploma or GED.
- Experience in the human services field, first responder/emergency response or a related field is preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to comprehend and maintain a working knowledge of departmental rules and regulations.
- Ability to think and act quickly and professionally in sensitive situations.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other Public Safety staff, College employees and local law enforcement officials.
- Ability to work and communicate well with college-aged adults in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to work on an on-call basis to cover mandatory minimum staffing needs as they arise.
- Computer proficiency required.
- Applicants with previous First Responder experience will be strongly considered.
- Excellent problem-solving and good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well in a team setting with minimal supervision.
- Neat and organized work style, excellent phone etiquette skills and the ability to handle confidential information.
Please send the following items in a single electronice document to the Office of Human Resources at [email protected]
- Letter of interest;
- Diversity statement;
- Professional references, including name, position title, email address and phone number
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Employment is contingent on a background check.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.