Manager Technical Support Services Location:
UNG - Oconee Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
The University of North Georiga is currently accepting applications for a Manager Technical Support Services on the Oconee campus. The Manager Technical Support Services is responsible for the day-to-day operations of UNG IT help desk locations. The manager will monitor and report on end-user IT support and will serve as the point of escalation for IT helpdesk coordinators on all campuses. Working closely with Technical Support leadership and the IT Contact Center, the manager will be responsible for ensuring excellent customer service at all help desk locations, coordinating timely support resolutions, performing request fulfilment, and for appropriately communicating IT initiatives to helpdesk staff and customers. The manager will be familiar with IT, UNG and USG policies, assist with customer purchasing requests, and serve as a representative of UNG IT on designated campus committees.
- Manage all facets of IT help desk operations including supervision of location coordinators, coordination of work schedules and assignment of duties, staff development, evaluation, and disciplinary actions.
- Receive and respond to incoming calls, service desk tickets, email, or chat regarding technical incidents or campus support coordination. Provide critical support for end-user technology. Provide technical assistance to faculty, staff, and students. In coordination with other IT units, perform approved configuration changes as directed.
- Conduct research on end-user devices in support of standardization and procurement efforts.
- Evaluate, recommend and approve technical products for purchase. Write technical specifications for purchase of end-user devices and related products.
- Assist support staff with analysis, diagnosis, and Tier I/II/III resolution of technical issues for end users, including remote repair for off-site users as needed. Escalate end-user issues as necessary to other groups. Contributes to the creation and updating of support documentation, and provides in-time training to campus faculty and staff.
- Work with the Technical Support Operations Director to develop and implement helpdesk policy. Be familiar with IT policy and communicate relevant information to supervisors and relevant IT staff. Assist other management staff in developing long-term strategies and capacity planning for meeting future specific end-user device needs.
- Lead help desk support initiatives and coordinates with Information Technology sub-groups on projects and deployments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to manage people and processes in a diverse technical environment.
- Advanced knowledge of PC hardware installation and repair, Windows and Apple operating systems and peripheral installation and support, and of PC networking and Microsoft Active Directory.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to multi-task, manage workload, and strong problem ownership skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is a must.
- Must be punctual and dependable.
- Working level knowledge of ITILv3 processes and ITSM best practices.
- Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions, strength to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Sitting for extended periods of time; ability to certify and maintain good standing in golf cart driver course for the purpose of transporting of heavy to moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- At least 5 years of general computer installation, maintenance and repair experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Experience in computer life-cycle management required.
- Operations management, customer liaison, and budget management experience required.
- Must maintain a state-issued driver's license in good standing.
- Computer Science discipline preferred.
- Project management and strategic planning experience preferred.
- ITIL certification preferred.
- Dell, A+ or MCITP, Microsoft and Apple certification or equivalent preferred.
Required Documents to Attach
Apply Before Date No job description availableConditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with the University of North Georgia, as determined by University of North Georgia in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
Special Applicant Instructions
- Please submit contact information for three professional references.