The Princeton School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA) is seeking a Technical Support Specialist in our Computing Services Department. The Senior Technical Support Specialist (TSS) reports to the SPIA Help Desk Manager.
The Senior Technical Support Specialist is responsible for day-to-day computing support for a large number of faculty members, administrative staff, researchers, lecturers, visitors and students.
The position will work closely with SPIA computing colleagues and the Office of Information Technology. It provides support to SPIA affiliates and the use of University systems as well as more than two thousand computing devices.
The TSS will also be knowledgeable in a wide variety of network, cloud-based and desktop programs to provide excellent support of faculty and staff computing. The TSS will be expected to follow standard configuration guidelines, uphold policies and communicate clearly with team members and end users.
In addition to being technically proficient, the Technical Support Specialist is highly customer focused, service oriented and must respect the confidential information of others.
- 7+ years of related experience.
- Experience using ITSM/Service Desk/Help Desk tools.
- Expertise in Windows based platforms.
- Experience with Active Directory, Group Policy, and managed environments.
- Strong knowledge of network troubleshooting, including connectivity issues, locating IP or TCP/IP addresses, VPN software, supporting remote users.
- An understanding of desktop/laptop security tools and applications.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills and the ability to create and maintain technical documents.
- Complex problem-solving and decision-making skills including creative problem-solving solutions.
- Must be organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to multitask, analyze and solve problems quickly with attention to detail.
- A team player who is self-motivated but can work independently as needed.
- The ability to keep abreast of new technologies including computer software and hardware, smart phones, and peripheral devices is a must for this position.
- The desire and ability to learn and utilize new technologies easily.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs., twist bend and work in awkward positions.
- Familiarity with Princeton University culture and business systems.
- BA/BS or equivalent IT Certifications and/or experience.
The Position is subject to a post-offer pre-employment screening to ensure the following tasks and skills, that would be necessary, can be fulfilled:
- Stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time for 2-4 hours per day;
- Sit for up to 4 hours during an 8 hour day;
- Lift or carry up to 50 pounds occasionally (less than 33 % of the workday);
- Lift up to 50 pounds to chest height and up to 25 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead;
- Constantly use hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, computer keyboarding (more than 66% of the workday);
- Occasionally bend, squat, kneel, climb stairs or step ladders, reach or lift overhead, lie down, crawl, knee stand, or push or pull with forces up to 25 pounds (less than 33% of the work day);
- Possess ability to full range of body motions, physical agility, and ability to maintain balance.
We at the School of Public and International Affairs believe that it is vital to cultivate an environment that embraces and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion — fundamental to the success of our education and research mission. This commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment and hiring as we actively seek colleagues of exceptional ability who represent a broad range of viewpoints, experiences and value systems, and who share Princeton University's dedication to excellence.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.
Standard Weekly Hours36.25Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)NoPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredYesValid Driver’s License RequiredNo Experience LevelAssociate#LI-NC1