The Athletic Trainer provides on-site coverage and injury care to student athletes during practices and competitions, under the guidance and oversight of the Head Athletic Trainer and direction of the University Health Services Physicians. The Athletic Trainer also administers treatments and assists physicians in treatment for injury or disability. This position also advises and counsels athletes of injury prevention and safety practices. The Athletic Trainer performs assigned tasks and carries out delegated responsibility essential for the growth of the program of athletic medicine and the care of the athlete.
Provides on-site coverage and injury care to participants in assigned activity during practice sessions and competitions by:
- Determining the level of severity of each injury;
- Administering first-aid, emergency care, and follow-up care (first-aid care will be provided by the athletic trainer to any person injured in or on a University facility);
- Referring team members, who have sustained significant athletic injury or disability, to the appropriate staff physician;
- Securing and/or providing appropriate emergency medical care.
Administers treatment procedures and rehabilitation programs for injury or disability to team members under the jurisdiction assigned to this position. Seeks out and relies on consultative support from the Head Athletic Trainer, and Physicians.
Promotes and implements a program of safety and injury prevention in assigned areas of varsity intercollegiate athletics by:
- Providing necessary prophylactic wrapping, strapping, and padding procedures for practice and competition;
- Providing continuing surveillance for hazards and hazardous conditions on playing areas;
- Reporting and/or correcting practices that may cause undue jeopardy to the health and well-being of the athlete;
- Cooperating with coaching staffs on matters of nutrition, conditioning, and training;
- Advising or counseling participants of sound health and safety practices;
- Advising and assisting the Director, individual coaches, and equipment staff in selecting and fitting protective safety equipment.
Assists in the care and maintenance of the treatment facilities, trainers’ areas, and the equipment modalities utilized in treatment programs.
Assists in a program of record keeping and data collection on designated reporting forms by:
- Maintaining accurate records of injuries sustained by members of assigned teams;
- Maintaining a record of the first-aid procedures administered;
- Maintaining a record of all treatment procedures provided;
- Providing an annual injury report for all sports under the jurisdiction of the Athletic Trainer
Training & Professional Development
Attends staff meetings and selected professional meetings so that one may be:
- Active in improving and promoting departmental functions and goals;
- Active in a program of in-service training;
- Exposed to programs, media, and literature that will enhance professional growth
Meets the continuing education requirements to maintain certification by the National Athletic Trainers Association. Performs other duties as assigned
Master’s degree and 2 years of experience in an Athletic Training program at a higher education institution
License holder as an Athletic Trainer with NJ Board of Medical Examiners
Expertise in injury recognition, first aid, emergency medical skills treatment and rehabilitative techniques, and conditioning programs
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automate External Defibrillator (AED) certifications.
Requires flexible hours and ability to travel
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours36.25Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)YesPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver’s License RequiredNo Experience LevelAssociate#LI-JE1