Event Specialist Location:
Wheaton, ILJob Id:
669 # of Openings:
1 Campaign – Event Specialist Job Overview
This position is responsible for helping to implement, plan, and execute all manner of events to facilitate strong relations with Wheaton College donors, and advance the current funding priorities of the institution, maintaining the highest standard of excellence possible. The Event Specialist reports to the Event Manager while maintaining a close partnership with the Campaign Director. This is a campaign-funded position lasting the duration of the capital campaign. Duties and Responsibilities
This job description is intended to represent key areas of responsibilities; specific assignments may vary from time to time, and other duties may be assigned. Qualifications
- Assists the Event Manager and Campaign Director with planning and executing high-profile, small and large-scale campaign events ensuring a wide variety of logistics are cared for, including but not limited to event research, collateral, attendance tracking, venue and vendor communications, technology, and event design.
- Assists the Event Manager in creating, proofing and distributing event itineraries, guest communications, event timelines, seating charts, and printed event materials.
- Negotiates, approves, and finalizes contracts, in collaboration with the Director of Purchasing and the Director of Risk Management, for venues and vendors (i.e., audio/visual companies, equipment rental, linen rental, etc.) for on- and off-campus events.
- Coordinates with campus departments [Bon Appetit, Facilities Management, Academic and Media Technology, Scheduling Services, appropriate academic department(s), the President’s Office, Harbor House, Conference Services, musicians, etc.], ensuring close communication and accurate logistics, specific for each event.
- Assists the Event Coordinator with preparing all necessary event materials, ensuring they are accurately proofed, to include name tags, tent cards, and event signage, and ensures all necessary supplies are packed and shipped, as needed, successfully and on time to venues for use at on and off-campus events.
- Maintains an accurate budget and current expenses for each event.
- Communicates closely with program participants, to include the President, Senior Administrative Cabinet, Campaign Director, faculty, Regional Directors, Advancement Directors, and College constituents, to ensure timely communications between guests and campus representatives regarding event planning and status reports.
- Provides support for and is available to travel to off-campus campaign events as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Two plus years of progressively increasing experience in event planning
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, virtual event platforms such as Zoom and Microsoft Teams, floor plan software, and other systems preferred
- Experience with and/or ability to learn and maintain a constituent database for tracking events and other college engagement.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong strategic thinker, highly organized, with attention to detail
- Problem-solver with ability to make decisions quickly
- Knowledge of food and beverage industry, etiquette and protocols preferred
- Availability to work night and weekend events and to travel for off-campus events
- Strong relational and interpersonal skills
The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear; frequently required to use repetitive hand motion, handle or feel, and to stand, walk, crouch, reach, bend, push, pull or lift up to 30 pounds. FLSA Status -
Exempt As a Christ-centered community, Wheaton College faculty and staff must affirm the College’s Statement of Faith as expressing their own theological convictions and agree to live by the moral standards in Wheaton’s Community Covenant, modeling these commitments for the Christian formation of our students. Wheaton College faculty and staff also support the Christ-Centered Diversity Commitment which highlights our desire to treat all individuals as equal image-bearers of Jesus Christ through diversity, inclusion, justice and unity. Updated