Athletics Equipment Assistant Location:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
This position is a Material Supply Storekeeper, Senior, working title is Athletics Equipment Assistant.
This position may be required to work some nights and weekends.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This position is responsible for the ordering, issuance, inventory, and care of athletic apparel and equipment, with an emphasis on Olympic Sports while assisting with Football as opportunity permits. Under the direction of the Head Equipment Manager, the Assistant will foster an environment of learning within a positive culture while practicing fiscal responsibility. The position will supervise a staff of students and oversee daily equipment room operations. Responsibilities include:
- Forecast apparel and equipment needs for assigned sports
- Meet with coaches from each sport regularly to address changes, needs, and future orders
- Place orders with selected vendors while following appropriate policies and contractual guidelines
- Maintain accurate records within inventory system
- Oversee the maintenance, storage, and proper laundering of game uniforms and apparel for each sport
- Properly outfit student-athletes with equipment in accordance with governing bodies including NOCSAE, NCAA, Big Sky, etc.
- Cross-train with Head Equipment Manager to promote continuity of operations
- Implement plans utilizing graduate assistant and student staff to execute gameday and travel procedures (packing uniforms, equipment trucks, timelines, etc.)
- Communicate as needed with the Head Equipment Manager on issues, future plans, etc.
- Attend practices and games as needed to provide proper support to student-athletes and coaching staff
- Work with Head Equipment Manager to hire, direct, and supervise Graduate Assistant and student equipment managers
- Research new equipment ideas and stay up to date on athletic equipment trends
- Oversees day-to-day operations of athletic equipment areas
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution
- 3-5 years working in athletic equipment setting
- Valid driver’s license with ability to operate specialized vehicles
- Master’s Degree
- AEMA certified, or eligible to sit for the next examination
- Experience supervising staff (full-time, part-time, or student)
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
This position will fully participate and cooperate in compliance related activities, procedures, and evaluation, and has a duty to cooperate with and furnish to the NCAA, Big Sky Conference, and NAU, truthful and complete information concerning involvement in or knowledge of rules violations as mandated by NCAA Bylaw 10.1. Satisfactory rules knowledge and rules compliance are conditions of employment.
- Knowledge of inventory management methods.
- Knowledge of athletics apparel and equipment and their functions and use.
- Knowledge of record keeping systems.
- Knowledge of safety and safe work practices.
- Knowledge of reference information including catalogs and indexes.
- Problem solving skills.
- Records maintenance and management.
- Cataloging and inventory techniques.
- Basic arithmetic.
- Operating equipment (e.g., forklift, box truck, laundry machines, etc.).
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Effectively communicates with vendors and coaching staff equipment liaisons.
- Provides exceptional customer service.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships.
- Proactively anticipates team equipment needs.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
Essential Physical Requirements
• Ability to frequently lift and carry materials weighing 25 pounds or more.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Commensurate with experience.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Open until further notice.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.