Macalester College is seeking a Health Insurance Specialist on a part-time basis (0.5 FTE). This position oversees and provides administrative support for the Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) and educates students about mandatory insurance coverage, deadlines for compliance, the waiver and enrollment processes, as well as maintains online information about the student health insurance. Additionally, this role works closely with the Health & Wellness Operations Manager on coding and billing that is submitted to the SHIP provider and Student Accounts and is responsible for managing direct billing and receivables for SHIP used at Health & Wellness Center. This position requires regular communication between Macalester College and students, as well as between the insurer, broker, and students; and serves as a primary problem-solver as issues arise from the campus community or insurer.
- Directs student health insurance enrollment process. Reconciles enrollment and billing with Business Services.
- Supports and educates students in health insurance utilization - on-line and in-person. Assists students with health insurance questions and concerns.
- Prepares & submits charges to Macalester-offered health insurance company for students. Tracks reimbursements.
- Assists with forms scanning, data entry, and other administrative work for records, referrals, projects; assists with varied Health & Wellness Center projects and tasks as needed.
- 1-3 Experience in student health insurance, and/or health clinic administrative support.
- Experience in Health insurance enrollment, coding, and billing.
- Problem-solve insurance submissions/resubmissions. Work with students on billing issues.
- Establish procedures for informing students regarding health insurance requirements and waive-out or enroll process.
- Proficient in using electronic health records, Banner, Google tools, and Microsoft tools.
- Experience in preparing reports.
- Proficient in using a laptop computer, copier, and facsimile.
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion in matters that are sensitive and confidential.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally, with a diverse population.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage by Friday, July 9th, 2021.
All inquiries for this position can be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Compensation: The total compensation for this position includes a cash compensation of $18-20/hr based upon experience. This role is 0.50 FTE.
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, and women. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Institutional OverviewSince its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.BenefitsMacalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.Our Commitment to Safety in response to COVID-19:For the safety of our community, Macalester requires all employees to have received a COVID-19 vaccine regimen.Should a newly hired employee be unable to receive the vaccination for either medical or religious reasons we offer accommodations and assistance.Questions or concerns about this process should be directed to Bob Graf, Director of Employment Services, at [email protected]