Executive ManagementMajor Administrative Unit / College:
Infrastructure Planning And FacilitiesDepartment:
Ipf Administration 10072654Sub Area:
FAS- Fac./Acad StaffSalary:
Salary Commensurate with ExperienceLocation:
Administrative/Business/Professional, Engineers/Architects, Financial/Accounting, Operations Services, Executive Management, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
Ast Vice Pres Real Estate and Capital Planning
The Assistant Vice President Real Estate and Capital Planning will provide leadership and strategic vision to approximately 75 support and professional staff (which includes temporaries, on-calls and students). This position is responsible for implementation of an integrated planning model that responds to “cradle to grave” acquisition, planning, design, construction and disposal of capital assets. This position is responsible for shaping the unit to reinforce collaboration, accountability, and responsibility. This position will be responsible for managing the University’s capital projects from planning, project inception and design phases through construction and closeout, as well as developing and growing its new Real Estate office and functions. This position also promotes an environment that recognizes and supports diversity, creates a climate that values and recognizes initiative, innovation, service excellence, continual learning, stewardship, and the achievement of results. The position oversees the offices of Campus Master Planning; Planning, Design and Construction; Capital Renewal; and Real Estate, Leasing and Property Management. Through this oversight, the AVP administers the continuum of university capital planning that spans strategic real estate acquisitions and asset management, to leasing and occupancy planning, design and construction, and alternative delivery models inclusive of public private partnerships.
The successful leader:
- Demonstrates strengths in strategy and leadership across a variety of teams and functions; promotes and monitors operational excellence; builds consensus and fosters effective teams.
- Establishes strategic direction and sets priorities to develop and grow the new Real Estate Office, building upon the existing leasing and capital acquisition/disposition activities and integrating these into a complete asset management portfolio that spans campus locations statewide; creates and assesses decision variables and KPIs to monitor performance and support strategic approaches to project delivery and real property management.
- Develops, directs, and serves as a centralized point of contact to lead, evaluate and manage alternative delivery models for strategic capital projects, such as but not limited to, public private partnerships.
- Collaborates with and seeks relevant guidance from campus stakeholders, cultivating a high level of trust and collaboration.
- Aligns and elevates the continuum of campus master planning and capital planning from inception to completion, connecting capital asset management seamlessly to both emerging and long-range university needs and strategic endeavors.
- Partners closely with the provost’s office and annual academic planning in order to nurture a continuous planning and innovation cycle that tightly connects to the academic program.
- Ensures a culture that practices and enables a diverse and inclusive environment, building a participative team climate that assumes a proactive stance and seeks innovation solutions, enhancing partnership with university stakeholders (on campus and across the state), delivering outstanding service and creating value for users.
- Sets a tone of fiscal diligence, advancing sound fiscal management and employing effective strategies that balance mission with cost effectiveness, innovative solutions, and high-level service and quality.
- Promotes and ensures compliance with university policies, procedures and ordinances, state and federal laws.
- Establishes and builds trusting relationships with customers and campus and community partners.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Bachelors -Engineering, Planning, Construction, Real Estate, Architecture and/or related field
Masters -Engineering, Planning, Construction, Real Estate, Architecture and/or related field
- A Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Planning, Construction, Real Estate, Architecture and/or related field or equivalent education/experience.
- 10+ years of progressively challenging professional experience leading large and complex teams with a history of demonstrated leadership aptitude; ability to coordinate activities of multifaceted operations that provide support and services to a diverse constituency in a customer service centered manner.
- Experience in largescale procurement and vendor management, large contract negotiation, creation of construction and maintenance metrics, risk assessment, public/private partnerships, strategic planning, and capital financing.
- Experience with multi viewpoints and gathering relevant information through a variety of methods (i.e., surveys, focus groups, industry best practices, benchmarking) in order to provide recommended action and to build consensus.
- Experience implementing strategic frameworks, mission, vision, values and action plans.
- Experience leading within a complex, interdisciplinary, union environment that deploys business intelligence tools for reporting, queries, and analysis.
- Licensure as a professional engineer, architect or Landscape Architect.
- Master’s degree and/or professional certification such as, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED/LEED-AP) certification, or Certified Educational Facilities Professional (CEFP).
- Experience in developing and implementing alternative delivery models such as public private partnerships.
Real Estate License, broker license or experience in real estate development
Knowledge of Environmental Health & Safety regulations.
Experience in a higher educational setting.
Substantial experience in motivating, directing, and second level management; experience leading in a unionized environment and human resources policies; highly skilled in change management
Required Application Materials
Applicants will be required to submit CV and Cover Letter
Infrastructure Planning and Facilities (IPF) plans, builds and maintains the physical environment for the university’s education, research and outreach missions. The unit is comprised of numerous professionals who specialize in their areas of expertise, guaranteeing the best care and stewardship of MSU’s campus. As a unit, its collective vision is to be the most high-performing, innovative, leading-edge facilities organization in the nation.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Jun 16, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jul 8, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time