Support StaffPay Grade:
12Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of EngineeringDepartment:
Mechanical Engineering 10016576Sub Area:
49130.00 - 60000.00 Salary CommensurateLocation:
Operations Services, Administrative Professionals- AP, Full Time (90-100%), Union
The Department of Mechanical Engineering (ME) in the College of Engineering is seeking a Research/Instructional Equipment Technologist II to coordinate and perform highly complex designs, fabrications, modifications, maintenance and repairs of one-of-a-kind research and instructional equipment, facilities, and systems. This position is critical in coordinating and maintaining the operations of our numerous research and instructional laboratories.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains research and instructional laboratories.
- Coordinates the installation, instruction on operations and removal of research, instructional, and experimental equipment for the department.
- Designs, fabricates, assembles, disassembles, and repairs one-of-a-kind instrument components.
- Assists in research and recommendation of equipment purchases.
- Coordinates maintenance of equipment lab facilities and research plots in order to ensure proper functioning of research facilities.
- Solves operational problems with instruments, and responds to emergencies.
- Researches and/or devises new engineering concepts for incorporation into applications.
- Provides engineering and/or technical assistance for faculty, staff, students
- Establishes and maintains quality control, preventive maintenance, and appropriate safety programs.
- Assess space for new equipment purchases by evaluating power and other supply needs including water, air, and fuel.
- Coordinate service requests with Infrastructure Planning and Facilities (IPF)
- Liaisons with Environmental Health and Safety (EHS)
- Coordinates lab updates
- Assists with the oversight and operation of the Manufacturing Teaching Lab (MTL) and Industrial Projects Lab (IPL) in conjunction with another ME Technician
- Operates and instructs staff and students in the operation of instruments and apparatuses
- Helps to design and develop equipment and safety training for the MTL/IPL.
- Schedules maintenance with outside vendors.
- Orders supplies for MTL/IPL.
- Occasional welding duties for projects.
- Project coordination with department main office/Unit Administrator
- Other duties as assigned
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
The job requires: knowledge normally acquired by completing a four year college program in Electrical Engineering or Physics and significant course study in Chemistry; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in fabrication techniques, mechanical and electronic drafting, computer systems programming, audio, R-F, and digital electronics; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; adept at working collaboratively and building rapport with a diverse population of faculty, staff and students; familiarity with MSU policies and procedures; general laboratory knowledge; Proficient in the usage of Computerized Numerical Control (CNC); experience with soldering, engine lathe, welding, basic plumbing, electrical (460V 3 phase, 208V single phase), vertical mill, cutting, vertical and horizontal band saw, table saw, plasma cutter, acetylene torch, power shear; experience with fork truck, overhead crane operation; valid driver's license
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Resume and 1 page statement indicating why you are interested in the position.
Typical Working hours will be M-F, 8-5pm with occasional nights and weekends based on needs of the department. This will be coordinated with the supervisor of this position with advance notice.
Summary of Physical Demands
This position involves occasionally lifting, carrying, and pushing of equipment and supplies.
Bidding eligibility ends on 06/22/2021 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Jun 16, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jun 29, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time