$48,816.00 - $65,316.00 Annually
6/23/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Under the direction of the Chief Accounting Officer and the Payroll Coordinator, the Payroll Specialist will perform a full range of payroll and benefits accounting work utilizing integrated software; maintain, audit and verify incoming documents, payroll data, and other information, process special payroll activities.This is a full-time position. The work schedule is 7:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. Monday - Friday. Initial salary placement for this position will be $48,816. College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting employees who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success. Job Duties
Job duties of the Payroll Specialist include:
Qualifications Minimum Qualifications (Education & Experience):
- Prepare and process classified, confidential, academic and management payrolls.
- Assemble, tabulate, extend, balance and post district payrolls and related data; examine payroll transactions for accuracy and completeness; evaluate discrepancies in payment or records and make adjustments as required.
- Review and audit payroll - related data submitted by employees; verify and code payroll data according to appropriate guidelines; input direct pay invoices for payroll deductions.
- Prepare, maintain and update a variety of payroll documents, master payroll prelists and related payroll records as requested.
- Prepare a variety of payroll - related reports including voluntary deductions, retirement contributions and labor department statistics.
- Process a variety of materials such as checks and reports as required; operate a variety of office machines.
- Assist in the annual distributions of W-2 statements.
- Resolve problems and discrepancies related to District's payroll, sick leave, vacation and retirement policies and procedures.
- Maintain and update files for earned benefits, voluntary deductions and Section 125 benefits records.
- Assist Payroll Coordinator with Budget development utilizing Excel and Access data base programs.
- Operate a computer to enter financial information, verify input to assure accuracy; operate spreadsheet software applications; and scan documents.
- Assist in the distribution of payroll warrants; sort warrants by location for distributions.
- Post, input, and prepare reports for part - time and student employee's attendance, hours and days worked; verify employment for employees as assigned.
- Assist office staff as needed to assure timely and efficient operation.
- Perform clerical duties such as typing and filing as required; order and maintain various office and related supplies for assigned program or function.
- Provide authorized payroll information to public agencies, loan offices and insurance companies; verify earnings for employees as requested.
- Compile, verify and submit reports of retirement contributions for PERS, STRS and APPLE.
- Process and reconcile insurance billings.
- Process and maintain a system for billing off - campus employers such as Work Study, Federal Work Study and State Work Study.
- Utilize the District's integrated software in performing the required duties of the position.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination equivalent to:
Knowledge and Abilities
- Graduation from high school including or supplemented by college - level course work in accounting, bookkeeping or a related field and
- Two years of increasingly responsible experience in the preparation and maintenance of financial accounts and records.
The hiring committee is seeking evidence of the following:
- Methods, practices and procedures used in payroll and bookkeeping.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- District organization, operations, policies and objectives.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Applicable sections of State Education Code and other federal, State, County and District laws, policies, rules and regulations related to payroll.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Basic mathematics.
- Perform payroll and record-keeping procedures.
- Apply financial record-keeping principles to the maintenance of complex fiscal and accounting records.
- Perform clerical work of above-average difficulty.
- Inspect and review financial records.
- Make calculations and tabulations with speed and accuracy.
- Maintain accurate financial and statistical records.
- Interpret and apply laws, rules and regulations related to payroll procedures.
- Operate standard office machines such as computer, calculator and scanner.
- Learn office policies, rules and practices.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Type at an acceptable rate of speed.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Physical AbilitiesAbility to hear and speak to communicate with students/employees/public.Ability to see to read documents and inspect financial records.Ability to sit and stand for extended period of time.Ability to reach in all directions.Ability to lift light objects.Ability to operate a computer and office equipment.Application Procedure
To be considered applicants must submit ALL
of the following required material before or by the filing deadline:An online job application.Letter of interest, which addresses how the applicant's experience and/or education enables him/her to be able to perform the job duties.ResumeUnofficial copies of transcripts of all college/university work. Official transcripts required upon employment.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Linda Reis at [email protected]
. College of the Sequoias does not sponsor H-1B Visas
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cos/jobs/3109377/payroll-specialist
COLLEGE OF THE SEQUOIAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The College of the Sequoias Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, gender, color, language, accent, citizenship status, ancestry national origin, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, parental status, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency