Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland School of Social Work has an exciting opportunity for a Director of Records and Administration.
The Director is responsible for maintaining accurate, confidential, and secure academic records for currently enrolled, formerly enrolled, and graduated students. Overseeing the provision of records and registration services to students, including registration guidance and assistance, and proper records management. The selected candidate will report to the Associate Dean of Admissions and Enrollment.
The University of Maryland School of Social Work (SSW) was created in 1961 and has grown to become one of the largest and most respected schools of social work. U.S. News & World Report ranks the School among the top 20 schools of social work in the country. SSW has become the leader in social work education for the state of Maryland with a growing national and international audience. For the last decade, the School's faculty publishing rate has placed it in the top 10 nationally in terms of the number of articles published in scholarly journals. The SSW provides 500,000 hours of social work services a year within the state of Maryland and surrounding communities. Through field placements, the Community Outreach Service, Promise Heights program, Family Connections program, the Ruth H. Young Center for Families and Children, and the Institute for Innovation and Implementation, the School is active in helping meet social work needs throughout Baltimore and beyond.
The School of Social Work is committed to creating an accessible, supportive environment and an educational experience that recognizes diversity and cultural competence as integral components of academic excellence. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.
This Exempt, Regular position offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. The University of Maryland, Baltimore was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine. (Feb 2021)In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Essential Functions
- Provides strategic direction and leadership for all aspects of the School of Social Work records and registration functions in order to maintain efficient operation and continuous improvement. Oversees the provision of services to students to include providing direction in their studies, registration guidance and assistance, and proper records management.
- Represents the School of Social Work in campus meetings and special projects related to the effective provision of student registration and enrollment services.
- Demonstrates and supports a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. Provide leadership in the development of future student record and registration changes. Applies knowledge of student information systems to the school specific needs and processes. Assists in modifying functional designs to enhance functionality of reporting and tracking. Consult with Center for Information Technology Services (CITS) and participate in the development and enhancement of specialized automated systems to facilitate the collection and analysis of information. Analyze current and future system integrations and areas of improvement for the Banner Student system as it pertains to the School of Social Work. Assure the appropriate and optimal use of information technology in the areas of registration and records. Supports and enhances a sense of belonging and success of students from traditionally marginalized populations. Creates a cohesive work team that works collaboratively to achieve unit’s goals. Oversees audits and data analysis such as completing degree audits, analyzing enrollment data, and tracking academic progress of students. Identifies, develops, and implements processes and procedures to ensure efficient and effective operation.
- Creates a cohesive work team that works collaboratively to achieve unit’s goals. Oversees the recruitment, performance, and training of team members and continually reviews strengths and weaknesses of staff to maintain a well-trained, highly involved, and motivated team. Oversees the enrollment certification process for students utilizing Veterans Educational Benefits. Oversees the confidential response to alumnae inquires related to record verification requests. Cultivates and develops inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members. Research, analyze, and resolve student disputes as they relate to records and registration; Collaborates with administrators, deans, faculty, IT, and staff to facilitate and improve services to students, including catalog, registration and records policy issues; Collaborates with SSW/USG Program Administrators on student progression within the MSW program.
- Assists the Associate Dean of Admissions and Enrollment with the implementation of procedures for processing student leaves of absence, withdrawals and dismissals. Provide leadership and develop appropriate recommendations for the implementation of related technology application in support of School of Social Work enrollment goals and enhancing services offered in the records and registration Office.
- Assess enrollment data to identify trends and/or enrollment challenges and work with the appropriate entities to implement changes to improve student enrollment outcomes; Analyze the course schedule and work with the Associate Dean of Admissions and Enrollment and Manager of Academic Affairs to inform student course demand and ensure timely graduation; review of enrollment, schedule recommendations and schedule dissemination. Builds the course schedule in Banner and the web application “terminal four” for all terms to ensure timely review and registration for students and faculty. Transfer credit evaluation (when applicable). Maintain, interpret, implement and help create institutional policies that comply with state and federal academic regulations (including FERPA). Assists the Academic Advisor with the tracking of special student degree programs and transfer credit approval (dual degree, international field program, transfer students). Provides student data to SSW/USG Program Administrators to meet the cooperative agreement requirements for the expanded MSW program. Oversees the confidential response to alumnae inquires related to record verification requests (i.e., HireRight, National Student Clearinghouse, etc).
- Oversees the recruitment, performance, and training of team members and continually reviews strengths and weaknesses of staff to maintain a well-trained, highly involved, and motived team. Supervises the Registration Coordinator in the records and registration office.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in field and/or related field (Master’s degree is preferred). Experience:
Seven (7) year of experience in academic records and registration experience. Supervisory:
Three (3) years of direct management or leadership. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The Hiring Range for this position is in the mid $80,000s to low $90,000s, commensurate with education and experience.
- Working knowledge of governmental and accrediting regulations, including FERPA and Veterans’ Administration
- Demonstrated knowledge of computerized record management and maintenance, preferably the Banner system
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse academic, staff and student populations as well as external constituents
- Possesses a thorough knowledge of position requirements and able to perform position in compliance with all requirements/regulations/laws. Knowledge of student information management systems and databases as they relate to the admissions, records, and registration process.
- Knowledge of both the technical and operational aspects of systems used by the Office of the Registrar. Experience working with complex data systems.
- Knowledge of data manipulation tools, reporting, and data integrity.
- Experience in working with students in an academic setting and knowledge of School of Social Work administration.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Social Work - Academic AdministrationJob Posting:
Jun 17, 2021Unposting Date:
Jun 24, 2021, 10:59:00 PM