Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) Center for Information Technology Services (CITS) is now hiring an Assistant to the Vice President.
The Assistant to the Vice President’s primary role is to provide high-level executive assistance and direct day-to-day support to the Executive who may require assistance during traditional and non-traditional working hours. The individual will utilize diplomacy, discretion, confidentiality, and exercise independent decision-making and judgment. This position assists in execution of leadership university operations, while working closely with other members of the CITS organization, and with UMB administrative and program management teams to coordinate activities. Frequently acts as liaison between the University and external organizations. Acts independently to resolve administrative problems and works with contemporary tools and technologies to provide high-quality documents for presentations and for business or academic related reports.
UMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package starting with 22 accrued vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; flexible schedules and teleworking options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Essential Functions
• Prepares correspondence and reports on behalf of Executive. Gathers and compiles material and interprets data and prepares new and recurring business and academic related reports. Uses contemporary software and tools to draft presentations, financial, statistical, budget, narrative, and other reports as required. Peer reviews correspondence drafted by Executive.
• Responsible for coordination of executive’s daily activities, including meeting schedule, travel scheduling, expenses tracking, and meeting management and content with internal and external parties.
• Provides complete planning for meetings, conferences hosted by the executive, and committees including communication materials and presentations. Assures executive is fully briefed before meeting on matters to be considered.
• Monitors and evaluates, and suggests improvements as needed, to the effectiveness of the Executive’s administrative operations. Assists with budget monitoring and oversees the processing of all travel expenses, invoices, and purchases for the Executive. Oversees administrative operations including space planning, moves, change requests for space, furniture, equipment, etc.
• Acts as a problem identification and resolution resource, answers questions, provides guidance, troubleshoots, and follows up in resolving problems, both internal and external.
• Conducts necessary research regarding University operations and informs Executive of findings so they may accomplish University objectives.
• Represents the University in on-campus and off-campus committees, or in meetings with faculty, students, governmental representatives, and members of the general public. Acts as a liaison for faculty, staff, students, and executives. Participates in special projects and performs other administrative duties having a significant impact on the overall goals of the University.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree. Experience:
Three (3) years related administrative or business operations environment supporting an executive. Supervisory Experience:
One (1) year of direct supervision or responsibility for training, work coordination, and monitoring work of others. Other:
Substitution of experience for minimum education requirement may be permitted. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of contemporary and applicable technology, tools and systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience. UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
CITS OperationsJob Posting:
Jun 16, 2021Unposting Date:
Jul 7, 2021, 10:59:00 PM