About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves nearly 14,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that nearly 90** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2018.
**Based on fall 2018 credit enrollment.Requisition Number:
2021-076Posting Start Date:
Associates Additional Documentation:
Commensurate with Experience
SecretaryDescription/Job Summary The Secretary
coordinates office services such as purchasing, records control, and other administrative activities; interprets operating policies; and exercises independent judgment in resolution of administrative problems. The position supports the development of regular and ad-hoc reports and may perform duties of a sensitive and confidential nature. The position also provides direct secretarial support such as appointments, correspondence, data compilation and filing. The Secretary is also responsible to provide customer-oriented quality service to the students, faculty, staff and guests of Baltimore City Community College displaying exceptional organization, professionalism, communications and attention to detail. Required Skills
- Greets visitors, answers phone and responds to inquiries or directs callers and guests to appropriate staff.
- Enhances effectiveness by providing information management support.
- Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics.
- Organizes work by reading and routing correspondence; collecting information; and initiating telecommunications.
- Manages department schedule by maintaining calendars for department personnel and arranging meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and travel.
- Completes requests by greeting customers, in person or on the telephone, and answering or referring inquiries.
- Maintains customer confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Prepares reports by collecting information.
- Maintains office supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; and verifying receipt of supplies.
- Keeps equipment operational by following manufacturer instructions and established procedures.
- Secures information by completing database backups.
- Provides historical reference by utilizing filing and retrieval systems.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reading secretarial publications.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Produce presentations as needed to achieve departmental goals (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
- Ensures quality, accuracy, and completeness of work activities and products;
- Plans activities in advance to insure that all assignments are completed in a timely and quality manner;
- Checks, and rechecks work for mistakes before distribution;
- Follows established procedures to ensure consistency, accuracy and completeness of work products and activities;
- Compares finished work to established expectations and standards;
- Performs routine or repetitious tasks with care and attention;
- Reviews work carefully for completeness and accuracy;
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Associate’s Degree required, bachelor’s preferred
- Four (4) years of related administrative assistant or customer service experience required
- Must be computer literate – MS Office, Zoom,
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sound organizational skills and abilities
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at [email protected]
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.
Email this job to a friend ×Subject:Your email address:Recipient's email address:Personal message:I came across this job and thought you may be interested.Human Verification:Send E-mail