DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Denver
Office of University Communications
Assistant Director of MarketingPosition #735974 – Requisition #21760
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The University of Colorado Denver seeks individuals with a demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty, and staff of diverse backgrounds.University Communications has an opening for a Full-Time, University Staff (unclassified) Assistant Director of Marketing position.
In the heart of downtown Denver, CU Denver combines innovative research and accessible education with the advantages that only a dynamic urban environment can provide. On our campus where all are welcome, we offer the quality education that the University of Colorado is known for at an exceptional value. For nearly 50 years, we have helped 100,000+ graduates achieve their goals.University Communications advances the mission of the university, as well as its reputation and identity as a leading academic and research institution. We are looking for an assistant director of marketing to join our team. The candidate will demonstrate a commitment to equity and consistently uphold other university values.This role reports to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Marketing and Brand Strategy.NATURE OF WORK
As a member of the University Communications team, the assistant director of marketing is responsible for planning, managing, and executing successful marketing and communications strategies and tactics, with a specific focus on brand image campaigns and activations. This role primarily leads the strategy and oversees day-to-day activity for both seasonal and specific campaigns and signature marketing efforts. In coordination with the communications, creative, and web/digital teams, the role ensures that marketing strategies and tactics are aligned with the university’s strategic priorities, and where appropriate, fully integrated with other efforts across campus. This role supports brand development and strategy, helping to communicate brand changes to stakeholders as well as ensuring marketing activities support the CU Denver brand. EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMEDMarketing planning, execution, and reporting
Supervision and training
- Working with the Vice Chancellor, Assistant Vice Chancellor, and the University Communications leadership team, serves as the primary lead for multichannel brand image campaigns and activations, mapping strategy to in-market execution.
- Manages the day-to-day relationships with key agency partners and vendors who execute brand image campaigns and activations for the university including leading regular meetings, monitoring performance of the agency, and ensuring effective collaborations between the agency, cross-functional areas of University Communications, and other campus units as appropriate.
- Working with the University Communications leadership team, leads marketing measurement strategy against projected results and drives ongoing analysis of brand image marketing campaigns to increase effectiveness of key initiatives and campaigns over time.
- Working with Assistant Vice Chancellor, defines and oversees annual brand image campaign and activation budgets. Tracks and monitors pacing and ensures timely processing of invoices and contracts for marketing with Business Operations Manager.
- Directs the development and performance of brand and creative assets and deliverables including strategy, planning, and execution, in close collaboration with the communications, creative, and web/digital teams.
- Provides marketing planning, advertising placement, project oversight, production and measurement/ROI for special events and projects, sponsorship opportunities, and key initiatives to deliver successful outcomes.
- Develops strategic relationships and collaborates with other university professionals to plan and execute marketing. communications plans, campaigns, initiatives, and materials.
- Builds, maintains and manages vendor and freelance contact lists and relationships with creative and web/ digital teams.
- Conducts research and monitors marketing trends within the higher education landscape and among competitors.
- Manages, trains, supervises, coaches, and evaluates professional and nonprofessional staff members including student staff.
- Participates in staff development activities such as university workshops, conferences, and programs; reports back learnings .
Team culture/Other duties as assigned
- Stays abreast of industry developments to maintain the professional competence, knowledge, and skills necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities including changes in regulations, technology, and best practices.
Salary and Benefits:
- Supports and engages in initiatives designed to foster effective collaboration within University Communications.
The salary range (or hiring range
) for this position has been established at $67,656 to $75,000. The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range
) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, public relations, communications, or a related field from an accredited institution.
- 5 years of professional-level experience in marketing, communications, journalism, or related field.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive, diverse, and progressively responsible experience in professional marketing and communications roles.
- 2+ years of direct professional experience with marketing campaign strategy, oversight, and management.
- Demonstrated professional experience working on agency-side and in-house marketing and communications teams.
- Demonstrated professional experience managing vendor relationships, in particular brand and/or advertising agencies.
- Demonstrated professional experience evaluating and managing sponsorships, activitations, or other experiential opportunities.
- Direct professional experience and oversight of digital marketing channels, both paid and unpaid sources including search, display, native, social, video, content marketing, etc.
- Must have strong oral communications skills, interpersonal skills, and the ability to build positive and effective relationships with members of the campus community.
- Experience identifying target audiences and managing multichannel, multimedia marketing campaigns that engage, educate, and motivate.
- Experience writing original marketing content for a variety of media.
- Experience with project management, timelines, on-time deliverables, and budgets.
- Experience using a variety of marketing technologies such as CMS (Content Management Systems), CRM, email, advertising technology, SEO, social media, among others.
- Experience with Tableau, Google Analytics, and other tracking tools.
- Experience supervising staff in a professional setting.
- Strong understanding and application of marketing principles.
- Strong project management skills and cross-functional project team experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; varies writing style to meet needs.
- Good budget planning, management, and reconciliation skills.
- Ability to manage and analyze data; presents numerical data effectively.
- Up to date with the latest trends and best practices in advertising, tracking, and measurement.
- Ability and interest in learning and applying new marketing technologies and analytics tools.
- Self-starter who can work both independently as well as in a team environment.
- Confidence and good judgment to effectively interface with colleagues at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal and client relationship skills to develop collaborative and productive partnerships.
- Photo editing, design/layout and presentation development skills using Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong group presentation skills.
- Detail oriented.
Jun 16, 2021Unposting Date: