Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Duke University Press (DUP) is seeking a Journals Production Coordinator for our Editorial, Design, and Production team to work with a diverse group of academic editors and authors. This position coordinates production activities and information for a set of journals. The position requires excellent communication and project management skills.
Duke University Press is a strong advocate for greater diversity, equity, and inclusion in the university press community. Individuals from groups under-represented in academic publishing are encouraged to apply.
If interested, please visit the Duke University jobs website and submit the University-required electronic application (including your résumé and cover letter), before close of the position at Noon on Wednesday, July 7, 2021.
Manage Production Process for a Set of Journals (15%)
- Create production schedules for journal list, and track schedules for journal issues
- Negotiate changes with journal editors, internal staff, and vendors to ensure timely delivery of each journal issue
- Coordinate flow of manuscripts between external editorial offices & authors, and internal DUP teams
- Collect and analyze copyright and permissions documentation in compliance with DUP copyright standards; consult with DUP Rights and Permissions team as necessary
- Develop process improvements as new technology becomes available or content requirements evolve
- Work with DUP Marketing team to place advertising in issues, and obtain print run and usage data
Establish and Maintain Productive Working Relationships with Editorial Offices and Authors (25%)
- Educate and train editorial offices and authors in DUP protocols, best practices, and publishing goals
- Develop and maintain training documentation and materials
- Advise editorial offices and authors in obtaining art and permissions to meet print and publication standards
- Employ effective strategies for working with clients and other professionals from diverse backgrounds and life experiences
Contribute to Smooth Departmental Operations and Exchange of Information & Materials with other DUP Teams (15%)
- Work with colleagues and supervisor to define interdepartmental protocols and procedures
- Identify, develop, and manage special projects designed to build departmental skills, assets, or operational infrastructure
Manage Outsourcing of Production Work to Vendors (15%)
- Provide vendors with complete materials, clear direction, and accurate information about DUP practices, tools, and policies; monitor vendor compliance to DUP standards and practices
- Provide regular feedback to vendors, identify problem trends, and initiate resolution of issues
- Manage vendor schedules to ensure deadlines are met
Ensure Quality of Both Print and Digital Formats throughout the Production Process (15%)
- Ensure completeness and integrity of submitted publication materials; ensure that all manuscript submissions conform to DUP protocols
- Assess digital graphics for print publication suitability; consult with Design team on graphics preparation; work with external editorial offices and internal Design team to troubleshoot problem files
- Approve print production stages, or identify and resolve problems with print vendors to ensure speed and quality of print version
Administer Job-Related Costs (15%)
- Review vendor invoices for accuracy and compliance with DUP invoicing standards; work with vendors to revise disputed charges; process and submit invoices for payment within net terms
- Maintain electronic financial records in compliance with departmental guidelines
Work required knowledge of grammatical rules and practices and mathematical principles as well as organizational and communications skills generally acquired through two years of post secondary education.
Work generally requires three years of experience in a publication production position to acquire familiarity with applying printing specifications to publication. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.