Associate Director for Research Services
Samuel J. Wood Library and C.V. Starr Biomedical Information Center
Weill Cornell Medicine
We are looking for a leader with experience in research, and skills in Python-based data science and web development, to manage the Weill Cornell Medicine (WCM) Library research services, and guide their continued development in line with the needs of the research community.
The Samuel J. Wood Library and the C.V. Starr Biomedical Information Center is a transformational information hub serving Weill Cornell Medicine (WCM), as well as providing clinical information services to New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
The chief activities of the Associate Director for Research Services are as follows:
- Lead the research reproducibility service
This nascent service provides training and tools to support best practices in research reproducibility, and compliance with institutional policies in research data management. The Associate Director will coordinate relevant individuals and projects between the Library, Information Technology & Services (ITS), Research Integrity Office, and Data Discover Collaboration (DDC). Key to this endeavor is the ongoing development and maintenance of the Data Catalog, which will integrate the various data management systems required for supporting research reproducibility, and provide a primary interface for researchers to access these systems.
- Oversee development and operation of the WCM Data Core
The Data Core is a mature service providing a data cu ration service and secure computational environments for research involving confidential data. The Associate Director will oversee the activities of the Data Core manager, the Library Data Core team, and ITS operational staff, ensuring that efforts continue to align with research governance needs at the institution. The Data Core also utilizes the Data Catalog for monitoring data governance and projects’ operational status.
- Support the library bioinformatics service
As a complimentary service to the WCM Applied Bioinformatics Core, the library bioinformatics service provides bioinformatics and data science consultations and training, particularly relating to selection and use of appropriate databases, and data management. The Associate Director will ensure this service continues to meet institutional needs in this area, and supervise and support the informationist for bioinformatics and data integrity in providing the effort
- Oversee development and operation of the scientific software service
The library coordinates and manages provision of scientific software licenses to the faculty, staff and students. The Associate Director will supervise the license request and provisioning operations, manage license budgeting, identify new licenses to support, and coordinate vendor-supported training and
- Participate in the activities of the library's senior management team
The senior management team sets priorities and strategically plans the direction of the The Associate Director will work closely with the Library Director to ensure the library plays a leading research support role in the organization. They will also work closely with the Library Director to develop and recommend an annual budget for unit activities.
- Develop new digital library services
The Associate Director will work with the Library Director, ITS leadership and departmental stakeholders to identify opportunities for new services within the library. They will also collaborate with the WCM VIVO team to explore open source software development to improve the library’s publication reporting services.
- Participates in faculty leadership activities
As a faculty member, the Associate Director will oversee programs and direct reports, and will collaborate with others from Library, ITS, and Physicians Organization Information Systems units in a matrix organization. As needed, there will be collaboration with WCM Qatar library and ITS staff. The Associate Director will recruit and recommend appointments and promotions for supervised library faculty and staff, define and review responsibilities for these positions, and serve as a mentor to junior faculty. They will be responsible for annual staff evaluations within the research unit.
- PhD in data science or molecular The candidate must have the ability to meet WCM requirements for appointment at the academic rank of Assistant Librarian (either an MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA accredited school or a PhD in a scientific domain of expertise), and a record of professional achievement, research, scholarship and service.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging digital technologies and services in support of bioinformatics and/or data management, and experience in developing such technologies to the place where they are customer ready, and then integrating them into institutional
- Proficiency in Python will be required to support existing
- Two years of postdoctoral or professional experience in bioinformatics, genomics, structured or semantic data, or data curation/data
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal and leadership skills, strong user- service (scientist) orientation; ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present data
- Is self-motivated and demonstrates strong initiative and ability to work independently as well as with
- Demonstrated Flexibility and calmness in stressful
- Possesses superior skills in problem identification, analysis and Is a systems thinker.
- Experience participating in research, and an appropriate publication and presentation history commensurate with academic
- Has a strong sense of mission and organizational
Preferred for the Position:
- Leadership experience in science or software development
- Experience with the Django web framework
- Experience in data visualization
- Participation in basic or clinical research with First-author papers
Position requires working in an office environment where there are a few physical discomforts such as dust, dirt, noise and the like. Ability to work more than 40 hours a week, off-hours and weekends during periods of heavy workload is required. Light travel between office locations, primarily within Manhattan is required. Occasional travel to affiliate locations such as Doha, Qatar, may also be necessary. Occasional meetings or clinical staff interactions in typical patient care areas may be required, though direct patient exposure is not anticipated.
To apply, please visit: http://appl.ink/168284
As part of the Senior Leadership Team this position could have exposure and/or access to protected health information (PHI) or Personally Identifiable Information (PII) as part of normal duties. Access to data within systems that contain significant portions of confidential staff or even medical records may be necessary for completion of daily tasks. This might occasionally include participation in teaching within patient care areas such as the hospital.
With regard to HIPAA and protection of employee, student, subject, and patient privacy, it is the responsibility of each WCM employee to limit viewing of PHI and PII to the minimum as necessary to perform assigned duties.
Weill Cornell Medicine’s educational mission emphasizes the importance of combining a strong foundation in the medical sciences with extensive clinical training in patient care. By promoting a true social commitment, stimulating creativity, and fostering independent thought and study, Weill Cornell Medicine continues to cultivate the best of tomorrow's leaders in the Field of medicine.
Weill Cornell Medical College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer.