Communication Instructor - Inmate Scholars Programs - Full time Temporary Faculty (1 year)
Kern Community College District
Position Closing Date:
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
$133,764.50 annually ($94,668.78 maximum entry level)
Kern Community College District provides a rich health and welfare benefits offering to our employees, including Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, and Long-term Disability.
In addition to the above benefits, the District also offers a robust voluntary benefits selection:
• Flex 125
• Additional products and services through American Fidelity
• Supplemental voluntary life insurance
• Tax Shelter Annuities
The District participates in the State Teacher’s Retirement System (STRS) for faculty. Employees covered under the State Teacher’s Retirement System (STRS), are vested 100% after five years of full time service credit. All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date.
Benefit Website Link:Benefits Website
This is a pool to fill a Full time temporary instructor positions for the 2021-2022 academic year. The successful candidate may teach courses for the Inmate Scholars Program.
This assignment may include teaching day or evening classes, weekend classes, large classes, distance learning and using multiple teaching methodologies. Other duties include: participation in student recruitment and articulation of transfer programs for the Communications department; maintaining subject matter currency; developing and revising curriculum; using computer and multimedia technology; collegial participation in departmental, college and discipline-specific professional activities.
Education and Experience:
Master’s in speech, speech broadcasting, telecommunications, rhetoric, communication, communication studies, speech communication or organizational communicationOR
Bachelor’s in any of the aboveAND
Master’s in drama/ theater arts, mass communication or EnglishOR
- The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for these positions. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must request and submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE
form. Supporting documents must be included with the completed form.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Commitment to student learning.
- Awareness of the college mission, vision and values.
- Sensitivity to students with a wide range of skills, motivations, academic and vocational goals.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of computers and willingness to experiment using multimedia instructional materials.
- Commitment to working effectively and harmoniously with colleagues in an environment that promotes teaching, learning and service students.
- A demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Initial placement for all new faculty hires shall be Step 1, Class will range from 2-5 depending on earned degree.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
First Review of Applications:Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled, but those received on June 23, 2021 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.Completed application packet must include:
It is the applicant’s responsibility to redact (or remove) any personal information from all documents prior to uploading. This includes Social Security Numbers, Date of Birth, and any photos of the applicant.Foreign Degree:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Statement of personal philosophy of teaching
- Copies of legible transcripts
- Copy of sample syllabi
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, INC. (ACEI). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.EEO Plan 2018-2021Note: The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal employment opportunity. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law, in any of its policies, procedures or practices.Discrimination Free Work EnvironmentThe District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/15496
. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency