Senior Control Room Attendant (5326C), BAMPFA 19744
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 30, 2021
The mission of the UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive (BAMPFA) is to inspire the imagination and ignite critical dialogue through art, film, and other forms of creative expression. BAMPFA has developed an international reputation for its active and ambitious exhibition programs, as well as for the quality of its art and film collections and research resources. BAMPFA is an institution with a stellar history and an exciting future. For more information, visit our website bampfa.org.
Control Room Guard:
- Serve as control room lead on assigned shift. May supervise control room and gallery security guards as assigned. Enforce security regulations and control primary access to secure areas. Control access for staff and visitors entering restricted areas. Control use of museum staff key, access cards, and maintains logs. Manage packages delivered to the business entrance and loading dock. Monitor and interpret security and environmental control panels and respond to alarm activations that occur. There are multiple cameras at locations though out the building and grounds, which require monitoring in the control room. The surveillance system is utilized to monitor secure and sensitive locations in combination with alarm panels, entrances, galleries and collection storage space. Position investigates and documents entrances to controlled areas, changes in humidity or temperature, and various system malfunctions. Follows up when environmental alarms are activated to ensure they are responded to.
Special Events and or assignments:
- Serves as one of the Special Event Security Coordinators in the Security and Operations Department. The building and grounds are used for internal, University, and private special events which vary in size and level of complexity, and crowd control needs. Security surveillance for events is often demanding due to the large number of attendees, and the social nature of events. The coordinator is responsible for overseeing event preparation and set-up. Verify that all event related deliveries are complete and vendor set up is effective. Supervises and participates in set up of tables, linens, chairs, sound equipment, glassware and other equipment and materials as required. Prepare coatroom and package storage for event. Work closely with staff, event sponsors and vendors to ensure venue is prepared. Ensure all guests and vendors adhere to security and safety regulations and maintain University policies for alcohol consumption. Ensure that all security staff keep food and beverages in designated areas and out of exhibition spaces. Monitor and allow only invited guests to access special event areas. Assist with crowd control. Oversee clean up, and ensure that all equipment is returned to storage.
General Security and Operations:
- Assists with providing general security and operations support. This includes covering other security posts, serving as temporary supervisor of student and contract guards, serving on committees, working with campus departments responsible for facility and or security/police services, and special department projects as assigned. Assists supervisors in gallery attendant/control room attendant training and periodically inspect galleries to ensure attendants are carrying out their duties.
- Position may be assigned duties which require them to make periodic round of the facilities to ensure safety and participate on shifts which requires them to open or close the museum facilities in a secure manner.
- Ability to monitor numerous security system components simultaneously, and balance the need for high security and provide good customer service to vendors and visitors.
- Must be alert, accurate, and attentive to detail.
- Must possess the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Must be able to work well as a team member and respond effectively to changing conditions.
- Must be available to work weekends, evenings, and holidays as needed and be flexible in scheduling.
- Must be able to serve on-call if emergency situations arise 24/7.
- Knowledge of MAC OS and MS office; FileMaker; Google mail, calendar, and drive; Adobe Acrobat.
- High School Diploma or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience working in security and working with the public is desired.
- Experience working with student personnel.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt, biweekly paid appointment. Hourly pay is $19.46 (Step 1.0)
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=19744&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency