Senior Accountant, Contracts and Grants (7735U) 19674
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 30, 2021
The Contracts & Grants Accounting (CGA) Office has campus-wide responsibility for the administration of all contracts and grants funding received by UC Berkeley—which in fiscal year 2020 totaled approximately $700 million via governmental and private contracts and grants. CGA is responsible for supporting the Berkeley campus with the initial fund set up, preparing regular financial reports, ongoing analysis and reconciliation, policy interpretation, collections of reimbursable expenditures through billing and cash draw down, and contract and grant close-outs. CGA manages and coordinates campus-wide audits of contracts and grants performed by Federal and other external auditors, and develops responses to audit findings and corrective actions necessary to resolve audit issues. CGA has campus-wide responsibility for providing systems, policies, procedures, and training to facilitate the management of approximately 4,000 contracts and grants across campus. CGA provides education and outreach to the campus and is deemed to be the campus expert in the area of post award management.
The Senior Accountant will perform accounting functions such as preparing, processing and recording financial entries and analyzing, monitoring, and reconciling financial information to substantiate the financial position and the changes in financial position of the campus. This includes use of Berkeley's chart of accounts and may also include use of other University of California locations' charts of accounts. This role will be involved in preparation of financial reports to meet internal and external reporting requirements and may be involved in activities relating to developing, implementing and monitoring accounting systems, policies and procedures.
- Analyzes, monitors and reconciles general ledger accounts related to various financial system (BFS) modules.
- Researches and resolves out of balance issues.
- Provides supporting documentation for audit, review and other agreed-upon procedures engagements related to sponsored research awards.
- Provides data analysis on complex accounting and systems-related projects, and recommends actions to be taken.
- Assists with preparation and communications for biannual Effort Report certification process.
- Helps implement and/or maintain one or a combination of contracts and grants modules and accounting systems.
- Provides excellent customer service to departments, sponsors and other third parties.
- Develops professional relationships with departments and other central unit representatives.
- Completes special projects and other assignments independently.
- Serves as a backup for other CGA AR/Accounting staff members when needed.
- Prepares, processes and records financial journal entries.
- Assists in developing, documenting and implementing policies and procedures, and provides suggestions for improvement.
- Attends training workshops toward present and future career development, participates in general staff meetings, and contributes to the implementation of special projects when assigned.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting functions and assignments.
- Thorough knowledge of financial transactions and financial systems, as well as related policies, accounting and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Knowledge in contracts and grants accounting, processing and compliance requirements.
- Maintains current knowledge of compliance regulations in all areas of contracts and grants.
- Ability to independently gather, organize, and perform accounting related analysis and reconciliations.
- Knowledge of OMB's Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (Uniform Guidance); knowledge of Federal Acquisition Regulations and principles of cost accounting standards.
- Proficiency working with computer and information management systems, including Microsoft Office suite, PeopleSoft financial applications, and/or similar accounting financial ERP.
- Ability to present information in a clear and concise manner both in writing and verbally.
- Independent judgment and strong organization and communication skills and customer service focus across broad and diverse subject areas.
- Ability to manage significant volume of transactions and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience with contracts and grants.
- Working knowledge of the Berkeley Financial System (BFS) and CalAnswers reports; ability to learn Effort Reporting System and related queries and pivots.
- Minimum of 5 years related experience.
- Professional certification.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=19674&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency