Sr. Research Project Coordinator
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job Title
Sr. Research Project CoordinatorJob Profile Title
Research Coordinator SeniorJob Description Summary
The Eukaryotic Pathogen, Vector and Host Bioinformatics Resource Center (VEuPathDB.org) is a dynamic, transdisci-plinary project, providing on-line data-mining resources for the global community of infectious disease and public health scientists, in order to expedite discovery research and translational application. As a Project Coordinator, you will join a highly collaborative, multi-institutional and international team of >50 biologists, epidemiologists, curators, data-loaders, ontologists, user-interface specialists, software developers, system administrators, and outreach staff committed to provid-ing intuitive and informative web interfaces for accessing and interrogating large-scale datasets that directly impact global health. The successful applicant is expected to bring an organizational mindset and scientific project management/admin-istration skills to bear, helping to ensure efficient operations and communications. Experience in biology and/or bioinformatics is highly desirable.Job DescriptionMeetings & communications.
Assist project management in developing and implementing strategies to ensure efficient communication between PIs, PMs, administrative staff, team managers & team members regarding project goals, impediments and solutions. For selected meetings, track communications, schedules, participants, notes and recordings; leverage and develop domain expertise to take minutes, report outcomes, and ensure that action items are accomplished; develop and maintain sufficient awareness of project goals and activities to assist in setting the agenda for key meetings, facilitate 'up, out, and down' decision-making, and follow-through on downstream expectations.Prioritization.
Assist management in developing and implementing standard operating procedures (SOPs) to maintain an up-to-date road map (using Redmine project management software) that accurately reflects team activities and project-wide priorities. Assist with monthly Redmine prioritization meetings, including advance preparation to understand discussion topics, assess the status of ongoing projects, determine likely effort, and proactively follow up to ensure on-time delivery.Reporting.
Assist in tracking and preparation of reports, applying and developing SOPs to facilitate automated collection of report input where feasible and appropriate. Assist in communication with funders/ stakeholders if/as required.Organization.
Manage document organization on various platforms (Microsoft OneDrive, Google Team Drive, Zoom accounts, Slack workspace, etc.), working with team managers to promote efficient organization of project documentation and SOPs.Additional duties, as assigned.
Depending on interest and expertise, may include monitoring scientific developments relevant to genomics, computational technologies, visualizations, best practices for team science, etc.Qualifications:
BA degree required (Masters or PhD preferred) in biology, bioinformatics, data science, or equivalent experience in a scientifically relevant field, with a minimum of 1-2 years' experience supporting large-scale scientific research or service activities.
The successful candidate must be highly responsible, reliable, and a resourceful problem solver, able to prioritize tasks and learn new things quickly, with demonstrated organizational and communication skills (both written and oral), and an interest in science management. Familiarity with computers and commonly used office applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, email, calendar applications, etc), collaborative communication technologies (Slack, Zoom, GTM, Microsoft OneDrive, Wiki, Google Team Drive, etc) and management tools (Jira, Redmine, GANTT charts, etc) is expected. Must be able to work both independently and as part of a diverse team, i.e. knowing when to seek advice and input. Familiarity with any of the following is a plus: best practices in data management, scientific project management, team science, genomics and/or bioinformatics research.
This position will require some travel, support for meetings, and participation in scientific writing and reporting.
Office, library, computer room
Typically sitting at a desk or table; Occasional lifting 25 lb. or lessJob Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
School of Arts and SciencesPay Range
$42,953.00 - $77,315.00Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Carolyn-Hoff-Lynch-Biology-Lab/Sr-Research-Project-Coordinator_JR00033955
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency