UC San Diego
Director of Enrollment Management Marketing & Communications
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Reporting directly to the AVC EM, and indirectly to the Chief Communications and Marketing Officer (CCMO) for University Communications (UCO) within the Chancellor's division, the Director of EM Marketing and Communications is responsible for the oversight, leadership and management of all marketing/communications functions for undergraduate Enrollment Management.
This position leads and oversees a comprehensive marketing program encompassing the targeted outreach of all of the functional units of Enrollment Management in coordination with University Communications colleagues, and in sync with campus brand, marketing, and communications initiatives. Duties include the creation and execution of a strategic, goal-based, data-driven marketing/communications plan to promote brand identity domestically and internationally and to help drive global awareness of the UC San Diego undergraduate experience.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will gather and interpret market research findings, identify markets, and develop and implement promotional and sales messaging and strategies to reach and attract target audiences. The Director generates imaginative marketing & sales approaches and activities, promotes brand identity by creating & directing compelling communication pieces, develops marketing outreach using traditional, multimedia, and technology-oriented delivery, and also oversees the development and maintenance of all EM websites and other social media.
The position serves as an area expert regarding trends and developments in marketing & communications within the field of Enrollment Management. Leads efforts to use effective and appropriate pathways to communicate with UC San Diego's target audiences using traditional media, emerging technology, and existing web/multimedia/online channels. Receives assignments in the form of objectives and determines how to use resources to meet schedules and goals. Manages comprehensive marketing for Enrollment Management, including management of human, financial and physical resources. Provides guidance to subordinates to achieve goals in accordance with established policies.
As a member of the EM senior management team and a member of the University Communications and Marketing leadership team, the Marketing and Communications Director advises and provides strategic communications planning to the AVC and EM senior management. This position also serves as a University media resource and spokesperson and promotes opportunities for Enrollment Management to have media contact as appropriate. Drafts speeches or other high-level correspondence as requested by AVC EM.
As part of the UCO team, the Director focuses on four key areas: 1) Strategic Communications, 2) Media Relations, 3) Public Relations and Marketing and 4) Multimedia, Publications, and Production. As a member of this team, the Director provides strategic planning and implementation of comprehensive strategic communications efforts. This includes research, writing, branding and messaging, marketing, public relations and marketing, local and national media relations, publications and website content management for various print and online newsletters. Works in collaboration on projects involving graphic design, photography, video production, printing, web development and other related functions as needed.
This position directly supervises a Marketing & Media Coordinator, Media Specialist, Web Marketing Analyst, a Senior Writer/Editor, and one-to-two part-time student employees.
• Proven skills in strategic planning to effectively organize resources, establish priorities, and achieve desired results. Excellent skills to develop and implement comprehensive, proactive communications strategies that support institutional goals, events and major programs and to identify and use resources to carry out that effort. Experience effectively using public/media relations to design and market strategies to promote a specific image/message brand and to reach a target audience.
• Experience developing a brand identity, preferably in an Enrollment Management, Higher Education, or Admissions environment. Experience creatively developing a brand to match an organization's vision/mission/strengths with market opportunities. Experience developing branding policies and communicating those concepts to staff.
• Experience using and evaluating new technologies to promote interest in a program/product/service. Professional experience devising and implementing effective marketing strategies involving new online communications; professional experience personally implementing communication channels such as social networks, twitter, face book, YouTube, texting, instant messaging, apps for handheld devices, eblasts, etc.
• Strong knowledge of current and emerging industry requirements and best practices in areas of marketing. Sophisticated ability to identify current issues in undergraduate enrollment management and the ability to use those issues to promote a brand identity. An extensive understanding of the local, national and global issues and concepts that have an impact on the work of the school.
• Strong market research, analytical, and problem recognition/avoidance/resolution skills. Experience conducting market analysis, SWOP analysis. Experience finding sources to expand "prospects" contacts. Experience implementing operational plans based on data and organizational goals. Ability to communicate and summarize market research findings into understandable summaries (verbally and written). Experience devising marketing & sales strategies based on market findings/analysis, using multiple channels/strategies for reaching a target audience and meeting sales goals.
• Proven ability to write, develop, and manage promotional materials and activities (print, online/web, multimedia, social networking). Demonstrated experience persuasively to passionately convey the vision and mission of an organization/product/service.
• Strong leadership/management skills, including skills to lead, direct, mentor, evaluate and motivate staff. Strong suite of management skills - including organizational, financial problem solving, negotiating, decision making, research and analysis, and interpersonal skills. Integrated, multi-media communication experience required. Editorial, desktop publishing, email and web experience required. Experience leading a communication organization/team.
• Solid skills to produce results and achieve predetermined goals within budget and time constraints. Experience analyzing the operational and budget effectiveness of various marketing strategies, mechanisms, alternatives.
• Demonstrated knowledge and the ability to communicate persuasively and passionately to convey the vision and mission of an organization and/or brand. Experience working in a client- or customer- focused environment of excellence. Experience interacting directly with clients/customers and translating that contact into effective sales & marketing strategies.
• Proven skill in managing staff including selection, training, evaluating and mentoring staff at all organizational levels; skill in taking corrective action with staff as required. Supervisory experience.
• Excellent interpersonal communication and political acumen skills, including advanced skills to effectively represent the campus with other internal and / or external constituencies. Demonstrated ability to establish and sustain credibility with all constituents including staff, students, faculty and sponsors/donors.
• Thorough knowledge of applicable campus policies and state and federal laws regarding copyright and other licensing issues.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including presentation skills and facility with up-to-date technology.
• Bachelor's degree in marketing, business or related field. Seven or more years experience in developing and implementing strategic communication.
• Duties may require direct contact with children (defined as individuals under the age of 18). Completion of the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) form will be required.
• Job offer is contingent upon a satisfactory clearance based on background check results.
• Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce.
This position is eligible for full benefits first day of hire:
a) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance.
b) Vacation/holidays (18 vacation days & 13 paid holidays a year).
c) Work/Life Balance.
d) UC Retirement Plan.
For more information about UCSD Benefits please visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/quality-index/index.html.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html