Job no: 501520
Work type: Full-time
Location: Various locations
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00 (Some nights and weekends)
Dean, Academic Affairs
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$95,000.00 - $152,000.00 (dependent on experience and other considerations)
Hourly Rate (Part-Time)
$45.67 per hour
Dallas College seeks a dynamic, visionary leader to play an important leadership role in the design, development,
and launch of the seven new Dallas College academic schools (the Schools). The Schools are being created to drive and lead academic programing under the new Dallas College structure and to align academic programming with the work force and industry needs of our North Texas region. Reporting to the Vice Provost School of, the Dean of Academic Affairs will:
1. Provide strategic and operational leadership to the discipline in support to the Dallas Colleges strategic priorities.
2. Work to advance the quality and integrity of the discipline, providing strategic vision for current and future curriculum development, implementing processes and procedures to support accreditation processes; and overseeing the implementation and promotion of academic programs.
3. Lead the discipline programs towards achieving Dallas College goals by promoting the disciplines by enhancing external relationships provide community-centered leadership.
4. Collaborate with other Deans and Administrative offices on ideas for program development, external grants, and professional development opportunities.
5. Possess a strong commitment to institutional effectiveness, program performance management, and be able to use benchmark data to measure academic performances against best practices.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Demonstrated record of administrative experience, strategic planning, and fiscal management.
• Committed to collaboration, collegiality, and diversity. Demonstrates inclusive consultation and decision making skills.
• Knowledge and experience(s) executing operating strategies and plans, managing staff, sustaining the operational financial plan, and overseeing the administrative management of the department(s).
• Demonstrated success in effectively leading change and organizational growth through strategic planning.
• Demonstrated command and understanding of contemporary diversity, equity, inclusion, and multiculturalism concepts and issues in higher education.
• Ability to analyze strategies to move the department forward, setting goals, evaluating the process, and implementing improvements.
• Maintains a solid relationship with executive leadership, administrators, faculty, staff, and students to achieve the goals of the department, School, and College, cultivating a positive work environment.
• Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures and adhere to high ethical standards when implementing process and improvements to comply with College guidelines.
• Excellent analytical skills with exceptional organizational skills and the ability to think strategically and tactfully.
Capable of evaluating options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization.
• Ability to present concepts effectively and influence all levels of the organization and administration.
• At least three years of administrative experience including program coordination in higher education as well as successful experience with program development and program approvals.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and equity in education through leadership, scholarship, teaching, and/or service.
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
Ph.D. with 3 or more years of experience in academic administration and teaching experience, or Master’s with 5 years of experience in academic or student affairs at an accredited institution.
• Understanding of program assessment and accreditation processes/procedures.
• Prior teaching experience as a faculty member or, adjunct faculty member at an institution of higher education is required.
• Experience in an international and/or a multilingual environment is preferred.
• Demonstrated success in leading program development or transformation (launch of new programs, redevelopment of existing programs/schools) is also preferred.
***Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check. ***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Principal spokesperson and advocate for the discipline.
• Oversees academic program planning and development, curriculum administration and revision, and new program development and implementation.
• Establishes procedures, initiatives, and programs that reflect a commitment to inclusive excellence among faculty students and staff.
• Collaborates with Department Chairs and Faculty to determine teaching assignments in the assigned discipline.
• Works closely with Department Chairs to foster student-centered and evidence-based faculty development that enhances the teaching and learning.
• Collaborates with Department Chairs to recruit, hire, and retain faculty consistent with the strategic and fiscal needs of the School.
• Directs the review and program approval processes as required by the Provost’s Office.
• Effectively guides the utilization of resources and directs the budgets that support the academic programming in the discipline.
• Works in collaborations with student services to ensure smooth operations for student affairs and career services.
• Serves as a member and/or subject matter expert to internal entities in Dallas College and actively promotes collaboration with an array of campus and community partners. Works closely with Vice-Provost on all matters relating to institutional success, strategic planning development, and substantive revision of academic policies.
• Responds to Additional Requests or Assignments from the Provost and/or Vice Provost.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Advertised: 15 Jun 2021 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: 29 Jun 2021 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time