Lead PlumberRequisition Number:
The Lead Plumber involves full performance plumbing work in the maintenance, troubleshooting, modification, repair, and installation of plumbing & heating equipment, accessories, and associated equipment. The Plumber identifies problems with plumbing, utility & heating systems equipment, accessories and associated equipment, and repairs or replaces malfunctioning parts and equipment in accordance with established plumbing code and general work instructions. Serving as the department’s Master Plumber, this position demonstrates the ability to interpret instructions, specifications, measurement and layout, and performs preventive maintenance on systems, accessories and associated equipment. This position requires working indoors and outdoors during all seasons and conditions, along with moderate physical effort including standing, kneeling and working from ladders and scaffolding.Specific Responsibilities:
• Read blueprints, drawings, and specifications to determine sources of plumbing malfunctions and complete repairs as indicated or according to work orders.
• Utilize building plans, schematics, technical sketches, gauges, and industry specifications to diagnose and determine means and methods required to appropriately and effectively implement any required strategy to address maintenance or emergency requirements using practices, tools, methods, and materials of the trade.
• Lead troubleshooting efforts and repairs hot water, steam, and gas distribution systems.
• Monitor the work order system and the work assigned to other Plumbers to ensure that work orders are completed properly and updated in the system.
• Maintain accurate records on material and labor used.
• Inspect jobs upon completion and ensure areas are clean.
• Detect needed repairs on buildings, grounds, and equipment following established inspection procedures.
• Repair or replace sump pumps and sewage pumps.
• Ensure proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment to see if work is up to the college standards.
• Assist in the development of a preventive maintenance program for all plumbing and monitor adherence.
• In collaboration with management assigns and tracks corrective and preventive maintenance tasks delegated to plumbers.
• Exercise all valves on a bi-yearly basis.
• Demonstrate proper precautions and remain cognizant of occupational hazards in the plumbing trade for safely performing the work.
• Identify position of hidden or exposed pipe, connections, or controls to safely provide appropriate access in grounds, walls, ceilings, and floors.
• Operate all related tools or equipment to cut, thread, bend, solder, weld, apply adhesives, join, seal, hang, mount, service, remove, install, clean, unclog, insulate, collect measurement data of any and all plumbing related products.
• Verify plumbing system integrity through use of tools and various test equipment.
• Install and repair plumbing lines, pipe, controls, and fixtures such as sinks, urinals, commodes, bathtubs, showers, hot water generators, hot water storage tanks, pumps, valves, sprinklers, backflow preventers, safety eyewash/showers, grinders, garbage disposal units, dishwashers, water softeners, drinking fountains and other plumbing products or accessories.
• Repair all routine and emergency college-wide gas, compressed air, hot and cold domestic water, heating, and sprinkler plumbing systems.
• Prepare requisitions for parts and supplies for preventive maintenance, routine maintenance, and repair programs.
• Prepare activity reports either by notations on work requests or by submitting periodic summaries itemizing activities performed and supplies utilized.
• Prepare cost, time, and material estimates for jobs as required.
• Work any shift, weekends, holidays, and overtime, as needed.
• Operate College vehicles and mobile equipment, and travel to regional centers, as needed.
• Respond to emergency calls as needed.
• Keep inventory of all plumbing supplies, fixtures, and other related appurtenances.
• Perform other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications:
• High School diploma, or GED equivalent, is required.
• Four (4) years of experience as an apprentice or helper, maintaining and repairing plumbing systems and accessories required.
• Must possess a Master Plumber license issued by the City of Philadelphia Department of Licenses and Inspections.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Knowledge of the materials, tools, and equipment used in the maintenance, repair, assembly, and installation of plumbing systems and accessories required.
• Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, measurements, and layouts required.
• Knowledge of the principles, technical practices, and techniques involved in the maintenance, repair, and installation of plumbing systems and accessories required.
• Knowledge of local and state plumbing/mechanical codes.
• Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions involved in the trade required.
• Knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of distribution and control as they apply to water, sewer, gas, or steam required.
• Knowledgeable of the principles and theory of plumbing systems.
• Must be able to work various shifts, weekends, holidays, and overtime as required.
• Ability to maintain sensitivity, understanding, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds required.Preferred Qualifications:
• Backflow Tester Certification preferred.Work Location:
Main CampusSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
- Interested persons should complete an online application.
- Cover letter of interest and resume REQUIRED.
- Names and contact information of 3 professional references OPTIONAL.
Review of applications will commence on June 30, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Equal Access Employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups.Salary Grade or Rank:
$18.90 - $31.00Job Posting Open Date:
06/03/2021Type of Position:
ClassifiedEmployment Status :