Job DescriptionUniversity of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking an Associate Director of Sustainability and Operational Effectiveness to join the Office of Operations & Planning. UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021). In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. PRIMARY DUTIES:
• Identify, analyze, prioritize, develop and implement a wide range of strategic university wide sustainability programs while pursuing continuous improvements to existing programs. Track university wide initiatives and sustainability metrics, project progress, communicate progress periodically, and collaborate with university leaders to ensure UMB achieves its sustainability goals.
• Facilitate and develop strategic sustainability initiatives campus wide to reduce the University’s environmental footprint by engaging with the campus community and external audiences to increase a holistic understanding of sustainability issues.. Provide vision and support for development of sustainability programs managed by other departments such as green purchasing, sustainable catering, and recycling.
• Cultivate relationships and complement activities with faculty, academic departments, staff and local organizations
• Collaborate in long-term planning in the topics of sustainable energy, water, waste, transportation, and procurement, incorporating knowledge from the field and feedback from the campus programs.
• Serve as the Chair of the Green Labs Council, and establish sustainable research standards and programs within laboratories and clinical spaces
• Manage, motivate, and train staff tasked with identifying opportunities to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions produced by physical plant equipment, waste reduction and green programs
• Serve as a key stakeholder and Co-Chair on the university’s Sustainability Steering Committee.
• Coordinate university-wide reporting efforts and submit required metrics to local and state entities
• Analyze data, track progress of energy reduction and natural resource preservation, and calculate cost benefit analysis
• Utilize innovative approaches and techniques to solve complex non routine problems with diverse stakeholder groups
• Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in engineering, environmental science, management, communications or related field preferred
- Experience: Five (5) years of experience working in organization sustainability or operational effectiveness. Prior experience managing energy reduction initiatives and effective behavior change programs preferred.
- Supervisory Experience: Two (2) years of work coordination, training, and daily oversight of staff, students, or volunteers.
- Certification/Licensure: N/A
- Other: N/A
- Thorough knowledge of position requirements. Thorough knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to support a mission and strategic vision. Instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships. Skill in consultation and change management. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
Commensurate with education and experience UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
Office of Operations & PlanningJob Posting:
Jun 15, 2021Unposting Date:
Jul 15, 2021, 10:59:00 PM