Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Institute of Human Virology (IHV)
is seeking a Nurse Practitioner
. This position will work in the THRIVE program, the HIV practice of the IHV of the UMSOM. THRIVE provides primary and specialty care for people living with HIV. Benefits Information:
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Primary Duties:
- Approaches all aspects of job in accordance with the THRIVE Program’s mission and core values.
- Provides primary medical care for a dedicated panel of patients living with or at risk for HIV or other infections, including diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic illness according to evidence-based standards.
- Manages the following conditions, as stipulated by medical director: HIV, viral hepatitis, sexually transmitted infections, co-morbidities associated with HIV, substance use disorder (potentially to include buprenorphine maintenance therapy), depression and anxiety, common primary care conditions.
- Provides the following services, as stipulated by medical director: cervical and anal cancer screening, hepatitis C liver staging (Fibroscan), penicillin allergy skin testing.
- Accepts urgent and non-scheduled walk-in appointments for patients followed by other providers, based on availability.
- Obtains clinical histories, conducts appropriate physical examinations and assessments, orders diagnostic testing and formulates treatment plans including prescribing medications.
- Conducts routine health examinations and evaluations and makes recommendations for preventive health maintenance and screening tests as appropriate.
- Reviews documents including outside records and consultant reports and summarizes information in the medical record. Determines need for additional services including referral for specialty care.
- Participates in regular multidisciplinary clinical team meetings and assists in the coordination of care in a team-based setting. THRIVE team includes physicians, NPs, PharmDs, social work, nursing, medical assistants, mental health counselor, substance abuse counselor, nutritionist, employment counselor, housing coordinator, administrative staff, and medical trainees.
- Provides health teaching and patient education, counseling, and guidance. Aids in the administration of medical programs including the direction, integration, coordination and evaluation of training activities for medical and other health professions trainees.
- Reviews and manages all electronic medical record inbox and physical mailbox messages from staff and patients, refill requests, result review and follow up, on a daily basis.
- Shares after hours/ weekend call duties among all THRIVE providers. Signs out clinical duties and inboxes to colleagues when out of office; reciprocates when others are out of offices.
- Participates in continuing education and in-service programs including conferences relating to patient care.
- Participates in training to enhance ability to care for specific populations and conditions, as directed by supervisor.
- Participates in educational, clinical, and/or scholarly activity related to grants supporting salary (as applicable, based on candidate interests, areas of expertise, skillset, and funding opportunities).
- Other duties as assigned.
Master's in Nursing or Doctorate in Nursing. Experience:
Current national certification from AANPNCB or other national certifying body (requires 18 months under a NP mentor before becoming certified) is required. Preferred:
Prior experience as registered nurse with clinical or research specialization. Certification/Licensure:
Current Maryland license in good standing issued by the Maryland Board of Nursing to practice as a nurse practitioner or appropriate federal district licensure where research is conducted.
Licensed with specific patient population and/or specialty area of research is required. Preferred Criteria:
- Clinical training and experience in care of people living with HIV and in HIV prevention for high-risk patients (e.g. provision of HIV PEP and PrEP).
- Interest, experience, comfort, and expertise in caring for patients from diverse backgrounds and experiencing societal or medical stigma including but not limited to racial minorities, sexual and gender minorities, financially disadvantaged people, people with mental illness and substance use disorder, people with cognitive impairments, incarcerated people.
- Interest and experience in management of STIs, viral hepatitis, HIV opportunistic infections, and multi-morbidity associated with HIV in aging persons.
- Interest and experience in addressing sexual health and education.
- Interest in and willingness to perform women’s pelvic exams, anal Papanicolaou tests, Fibroscan, and penicillin allergy skin testing.
- Interest in and willingness to manage depression and anxiety with aid of social work, mental health counselor, and consulting psychiatrist through ‘collaborative care model’.
- Interest in and willingness to obtain waiver for buprenorphine maintenance therapy.
- Interest in scholarly activity related to the care of people living with HIV, including clinical and didactic education of medical trainees, quality improvement initiatives, and/or outcomes research.
- Involvement in local HIV advocacy community.
Commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Medicine - Institute of Human VirologyJob Posting:
Jun 15, 2021Unposting Date:
Jun 29, 2021, 11:59:00 PM