Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Medicine (UMSOM)
is seeking a seasoned financial planning professional (Director of Student Financial Planning)
to build and manage the Medical School Scholarship & Financial Wellness program. The building of this new program is integral to the overall success of the School of Medicine (SOM) Medical Doctor program and its accreditation. The program will be expected to adopt and implement the AAMC FIRST program (Financial Information, Resources, Services, and Tools) within the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM) and develop a synergistic speaker series on relevant topics. The FIRST program is a resource provided by the AAMC, and all LCME-accredited medical schools are strongly encouraged to utilize aspects of this model. The Medical School Scholarship & Financial Wellness program is being established to act as an interface for medical students with the University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) University Student Financial Assistance (USFA) office and as the hub for any medical student financial-aid- and financial-wellness-related services and matters. The Director position is expected to manage all aspects of the medical student scholarships & financial wellness program such as: customer service, quality assurance, strategic planning, seminars, communications and marketing, staff supervision, interactions with Undergraduate Medical Education (UME) units and administration of other SOM divisions, nurturing a strong relationship with the UMB USFA, intake and resolution of requests, specialized counseling, exit interviews, etc. The Director of Student Financial Planning would report to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs and will be expected to foster and support a broadly diverse and inclusive university community consisting of approximately 650 students. Although this position is independent of the UMB USFA, weekly meetings, trainings and synergy between the two entities are expected. This is a great opportunity for a highly professional individual who is customer-focused, well-organized, possesses strong communication and oral presentation skills, and has a desire to build a state-of-the-art scholarship and financial wellness program from the ground up. Benefits Information:
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Primary Duties:
- Develop, implement, and provide oversight of all aspects of student financial planning and debt counseling programs.
- Develop general and custom financial planning materials for students and admitted applicants, counsel’s students individually and in group settings, and help establish short and long-term debt management plans.
- Analyze and differentiate between complex financial product types available through all sources, and appraise alternate financial strategies.
- Adopt and implement the AAMC FIRST (Financial Information, Resources, Services, and Tools) program within the SOM. This program is strongly encouraged for use by the LCME, our accreditation organization.
- Coordinate with UMB Central Financial Aid Office to maintain synergy between the school and campus. Serve as an intermediary between students and the UMB Central Financial Aid office to resolve problems.
- Operates as a safety-net to ensure all student financial related matters are promptly addressed and resolved satisfactorily.
- Coordinate with the campus UMB Office of Enrollment (OOE) Administration. Serve as an intermediary between students and the OEE to resolve problems.
- Directs students in identifying their financial goals and objectives. Synthesize individualized financial plans, aligning student’s unique circumstances with available strategies and products.
- Help students establish short and long-term debt management plans and budgeting practices.
- Communicate to students the complex policies and procedures relating to federal student loans.
- Manage and monitor school private scholarship fund awards. Develops and manages a centralized resource for students to access scholarship opportunities as well as financial planning and management resources. Works directly with the school Office of Development and other designated groups to identify potential scholarships opportunities for students.
- Develop information as needed for UMB OOE financial aid reporting.
- Develop educational and programmatic materials, seminars, and events related to sound financial management strategies.
- Serve as a resource for the Student Affairs Office regarding support and training on Banner and other student IT systems
- Ensure efficient supervision, recruitment, and training functions to continually review strengths and weaknesses in maintaining a staff of well-trained, highly involved, and motivated employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Student Services or Education Administration preferred. Master’s Degree or higher, preferred. Experience:
Eight (8) years related experience including five (5) years with direct experience in a Student Information System (e.g. Banner); previous experience overseeing financial aid for graduate and professional academic programs is preferred. Supervisory Experience:
Three (3) years supervisory experience. Certification/Licensure:
Demonstrated commitment to exceptional customer service and customer service experience in financial aid/financial management/ financial planning industry preferred.
Demonstrated experience working independently in a senior financial-wellness-related role to include: financial aid and fiscal counseling management in a university environment, financial advising and debt management, public or client relations, and/or accounting background including familiarity with IRS documentation and procedures preferred. Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of position requirements. Thorough knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to support a mission and strategic vision. Instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships. Skill in consultation and change management. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge. Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Medicine - Academic AffairsJob Posting:
Jun 14, 2021Unposting Date:
Jul 13, 2021, 11:59:00 PM