Job location: Veterinary School Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
JR00033389 University Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job Title
Associate Director Digital MediaJob Profile Title
Communications SpecialistJob Description Summary
The Associate Director of Digital Media will independently create and publish timely, written and visual/video content for a fast-paced, substantive communications and marketing function, charged with elevating brand visibility and reputation, and driving institutional growth for the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania (Penn Vet). The award-winning Communications and Marketing Unit is embedded within Penn Vet’s Institutional Advancement Division, and this role will contribute to the overall fundraising efforts of the School.Job Description
The Associate Director will be responsible for using creative and innovative methods to tell news stories across multiple platforms including Penn Vet’s website, social media channels, and email blasts. The position reports to the Communications Director and works across multiple departments and functions to elevate the School’s objectives, goals, and strategic priorities. The Associate Director will ensure day-to-day editorial maintenance on all digital platforms and work with both internal and external partners on content development and distribution.
Job Description Specific Responsibilities:
Content and Editorial Development
- Work with internal Communications team and external writing team to conceptualize and create content for Penn Vet’s website news room, including multimedia features, short stories, and event coverage.
- Independently oversee the day-to-day management of existing social media accounts and content adaptation for different platforms; experiment with new content formats (e.g. live video, Instagram stories/reels) to enhance exposure and engagement; identify and implement best practices to expand communications capability.
- Monitor news sources, identifying opportunities to promote Penn Vet’s faculty, the School’s hospital, clinical and diagnostic capabilities, as well Penn Vet’s impact within the agricultural and wildlife health sectors; amplify Penn Vet’s talented, accomplished and active student and alumni communities.
- Select complementary visual content, such as video, photography, and infographics; create social media posts and messaging that increases followership and drives engagement.
- Edit preexisting content from across the School and University to ensure journalistic integrity, production quality, and consistent brand alignment around voice and tone; work with internal University partners and external entities to maximize reach of Penn Vet’s content.
- A key member of the team shaping the Dean’s social media voice, visibility, and reputational footprint to advance institutional goals; participate in the goal-setting, planning, execution, benchmarking, and fine-tuning of Dean’s social media use over time.
Video Development and Production
- Create compelling and shareable videos for Instagram and other platforms; ability to monitor/opportunistically seize on existing news cycles, and iterate off of trending content.
- Translate ideas from Communications team members into successful short-form video stories.
- Create videos that are shareable and have impact with a digital audience; from quick-turn daily edits to longer pieces.
- Own full production timeline and logistics from planning, shooting, post-production, and deployment.
- Take an omni-channel approach to define cascading deployment of integrated and innovative communications/marketing campaigns.
- Participate in developing, implementing and maintaining an efficient internal workflow in a fast-paced, media-driven environment.
- Prioritize time-sensitive projects for optimal success; ensure consistency and currency across all social media platforms.
- Work with colleagues to execute editorial strategies, packages, and best practices for the display and distribution of content on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Vimeo and other social platforms.
- Work with external creative agencies and freelancers to establish and meet video project goals, budgets, and timelines. Monitor project progress, from planning to execution, to ensure project remains focused and effective.
- Provide support and asset development for archival library of “re-use” video and libraries.
A Bachelor’s Degree is required and at least Three to five years of professional communications and video production experience (five preferred) or equivalent combination of experience and education. Experience in multi-media and/or graphic design is preferred. Two or more years overseeing institutional/organizational social media accounts with a demonstrated track record of increasing growth, driving engagement and delivering quantifiable impact. Demonstrated ability to write captivating copy and orchestrate inventive digital and social media campaigns.
Proficient with video editing programs such as iMovie, Final Cut Pro, as well as creative programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Extensive knowledge of social media analytic tools (Sprout Social preferred) and campaign analysis.
Collaborative, creative, deadline-driven, and a strong client service orientation. Sensitivity to context and nuance, and a proven skillset navigating diverse and multi-faceted audience segments/targets. Ability to think independently, work through ambiguity, respond to multiple demands, and lead project teams.Job Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
School of Veterinary MedicinePay Range
$50,684.00 - $91,232.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay