Description of Basic Functions and Responsibilities
The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District (Shasta College) sits at the northern end of the Sacramento Valley, surrounded by mountains to the north, east, and west. The area provides a wide array of outdoor amenities and activities with miles of hiking and biking trails, national parks, two lakes, and the Sacramento River.
Shasta College is committed to providing its diverse student population with equitable education outcomes, contributing to the social, cultural, intellectual, and economic development of our communities. The college has been recognized as a leader in developing and implementing innovative education programs to increase student success, including accelerated pathways for high school students to achieve a bachelor's degree and for returning students to complete their Associate and Bachelor's degrees. Shasta College enrolls more than 11,000 students annually and provides educational services to students with a wide range of skills and abilities.
Our ideal candidate is motivated to join a campus community prioritizing the success of our racially and socio-economically diverse staff and student population. Providing equitable outcomes so all members of our community may enjoy safe, healthy, and vibrant educational and employment environments is critical to our success.
Classified positions in the California Community College system offer a unique opportunity to contribute to the empowerment of our students seeking to improve their lives and communities. Our classified staff engage with a diverse employee and student populations, facilitating equitable outcomes for all by implementing and supporting our various employment and academic programs. As a classified staff member at Shasta College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive, healthy educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives. A career in classified service at Shasta College offers a highly rewarding and enriching employment experience.
DESCRIPTION OF BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Under the direction of the assigned supervisor, participate in a variety of activities involved in the planning, analysis, design, development, modification, maintenance, and implementation of Information Systems software and applications. Assist with data analysis to assure accurate reporting and data integrity. Perform standardized and ad-hoc query and reporting functions. As an administrative applications expert, assist in ensuring the effective utilization of the College’s software applications and information systems by working with the District’s various business units in defining operational requirements, procedures and enhancements that improve operational efficiencies.
CLASSIFICATION: Range 40 on the current Classified Salary Schedule, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year. Work assignment hours are 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday.
SUPERVISOR: Associate Vice President of Information Services or designee
BENEFITS: Holiday, vacation and sick time will be provided. Our competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalPERS Retirement and an employee assistance program (EAP).
Employees have the option to contribute to:
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- 403(b) and 457 Retirement Plans
- Section 125 Plan including Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) and Dependent Day Care Accounts
In addition, employees have the option to purchase:
- Disability Income Insurance
- Cancer Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Accident Only Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
For more information regarding Employment and Benefit Policies, please view the Classified Employee Collective Bargaining Agreement
.Typical Duties, Knowledge and AbilityTYPICAL DUTIES Examples of typical duties are descriptive in and not restrictive in nature
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDSKnowledge of: Enterprise resource planning systems concepts and products.Collection and organization of pertinent data and information.Principles of database structure and design.Operations, equipment, procedures and formats used in information processing.Microsoft Office Suite.SQL Programming.Reporting design and delivering reporting solutions.Principles, practices and techniques of training and providing technical instructions.Basic elements of documentation preparation.Record-keeping techniques.Oral and written communication skills.Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, vocabulary.Applicable sections of State Education and other codes, laws, regulations and policies related to specialty area.Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy. Ability to
- Work with assigned departments to analyze business processes and implement technology solutions to automate business processes and workflow; participate in meetings to define and document business process requirements; research, recommend, develop and deploy enhancements to improve business efficiencies.
- Serve as a resource on process/functionality issues for enterprise systems. Assist users in functional areas to understand and apply system processes and provide subject-matter expertise to internal and external clients as required.
- Develop queries and reports to meet the standard and ad-hoc reporting needs of users. Work with users on defining reporting needs and data analysis.
- Oversee and participate in a variety of project development activities including but not limited to planning, analysis, design, programming, development and modification of assigned computer systems, software, applications and databases
- Collaborate with departments to determine desired report content and parameters. Perform required analysis to ensure data extracted from the enterprise data repositories is accurate and meets the business needs
- Prepare and implement training programs in the use of new and existing applications including information systems, portal, web and administrative software applications.
- Develop and maintain technical specifications, user manuals, technical bulletins and other related user documentation.
- Independently initiate and coordinate operational and system improvements to increase efficiencies and ease of use administrative applications.
- Creating, updating, and modifying user accounts for campus wide systems.
- Perform functional configurations and maintenance for enterprise systems based on changing operational and business needs
- Identify, test and maintain system and database updates and corrections. Provide district-wide support, training and regular updates to all users on changes, fixes and work in progress.
- Review and recommend revisions to all documentation to assure auditing standards and guidelines are met.
- Remain current concerning advancements in the field of information systems, peripheral equipment and related supplies.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
:Operate information systems software and hardware.Diagnose, resolve and document information system problems.Develop SQL statements, procedures and functions.Prepare, implement and present training programs.Understand the requirements and act upon requests from faculty, staff and administrators for information systems support.Develop in-depth knowledge and understanding of systems capabilities, end-user’s information needs and underlying business practicesManage multiple priorities, follow project plans and meet project timelines.Establish and maintain regular communications with users.Remain current concerning advancements in field of specialization.Design, prepare and edit manuals and procedures.Exercise critical thinking skills in analyzing and interpreting data.Accurately interpret institutional policies and procedures.Learn department and program objectives and goals.Plan and organize work.Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
Experience/EducationQUALIFICATIONSEducation/Experience Required:AA/AS degree with a major in information technology or business or other related major preferred. BS or BA degree desirable.
- Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and skills is qualifying. Typical experience would be two years of increasingly responsible experience performing duties comparable to those assigned to a Computer Applications Specialist.
- Ellucian/Colleague applications experience.
- SQL database and/or query knowledge.
- Financial, Human Resources, Payroll, Curriculum, Student Support systems background.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal communications skills.
Online Application with Additional Preferred Materials to be attached to application:
- Cover letter addressing criteria listed in the position announcement
- Current resume
- College transcripts (unofficial will be accepted at the time of application)
New Classified Appointments will be placed at Step 1 on the Classified Salary Schedule and will graduate to the next step on July 1st if the hire date is on or before January 1, with subsequent steps annually thereafter to a maximum fifth step.
- After application has been submitted, all application materials will be screened.
- Internal candidates must also submit all required materials to be considered.
- Candidate evaluations will not be considered.
- Reference letters from any member of the Hiring Committee or Board Members will not be considered.
- Interviews will be by invitation only.
- The District does not provide expense reimbursement for those invited to initial interviews.
- The District does not reimburse for new hire moving expenses.
Longevity pay in accordance with Section 8.8 of the Classified Employee Collective Bargaining Agreement
. The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District ("Shasta College") does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religious preference, age, disability (physical and mental), pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, sexual orientation, genetics, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Shasta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.