DescriptionUniversity of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Position #670030 – Requisition 21695
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The Bursar’s Office has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Bursar position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver—one of America’s most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.Located in the heart of downtown, CU Denver provides a vibrant, urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to global energy management, music industry studies and criminal justice among eight schools and colleges. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students—all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here
Jobs in this career family provide the accounting and financial activities for the University. Functions include general accounting, budget, financial analysis and audit, tax and reporting, accounts payable and receivables, government cost reimbursement, contract administration, cashiering, cash management/ banking, investments, treasury and travel audit.Directors are responsible for the ongoing leadership and oversight of a department, including the Development of strategies and processes which contribute to the University and/or campus mission and accountability for services provided. Directors are responsible and accountable for the analysis of fiscal and human resources required to achieve department objectives including hiring, compensation, termination, and performance management of subordinate employees. Position Emphasis
The Bursar for the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor Financial Services and Controller and is a key member of the Financial Services leadership team. This position oversees and is accountable for the programs and services provided by the Bursar department (19 full-time employees) including Cashiering and Customer Service, System Operations, Financial Operations and Student Debt Management. The Bursar provides leadership and direction in the following areas.
- Creating a culture focused on customer service and innovation/process improvement.
- Leading a high performing team of managers and staff as they continuously innovate and improve processes, policies and procedures focusing on customers, efficiencies and compliance while meeting the demands of a rapidly changing, complex, and competitive university environment.
- Creating an office strategic plan aligned with the campus and University strategic plans.
- Collaborating and developing partnerships with other campus units including Budget, Finance, Enrollment Management, Registrar, Financial Aid, other Student Affairs functions, as well as all Colleges and Schools at both campuses.
- Developing data analytics and metrics for campus leadership as well as within the Bursar office for measuring goals, financial status and work processes.
- Ensuring strong processes for financial and compliance management with federal, state, University and accounting policies and procedures.
- Managing and collaborating on technology solutions and systems for student and University processes. Work in conjunction with Office of Information Technology (OIT) and University Information Systems (UIS) on the student technologies including the Student Information System to ensure processes fully utilize technology for efficient and customer focused processes. The Bursar serves as the Functional Team Leader and subject matter expert for the Student Financials.
Management and Leadership
- Serve on the leadership team of the Associate Vice Chancellor Financial Services and Controller; recommend and participate in the development of University processes, policies and procedures.
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives; overseeing recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of staff.
- Create and maintain a positive, collaborative work culture focused on excellent customer service interactions with all customers including students, parents, and administrators.
- Oversee the overall operations of student accounts including cashiering, billing, collections, as well as financial and system operations.
- Develop the broad goals and strategic plan of the Bursar Office.
- Create a culture of innovation and process improvement focused on customer service and efficiencies.
- Develop the knowledge, leadership and professionalism of all team members.
- Manage annual budgets for the Bursar Office.
Relationships and Communication
Seek out engagement opportunities with university stakeholders and partners.Establish and maintain internal and external relationships and communications to respond to inquiries, and provide information and expertise.Represent the University on various campus committees as well as to governmental agencies, vendors, students and their parents, and the general public.Build and maintain effective, collaborative working relationships with all University Schools/Colleges as well as other central departments including Finance, Enrollment and Student Affairs Offices (Undergraduate Admissions Office, Financial Aid and Scholarships Office, Registrar’s Office), and Budget to ensure services to our customers are effective, efficient and provide exceptional customer service.
Reporting, Process, Fiscal Management and Compliance
Ensure timely and accurate completion of federal and state reports related to student tuition, student loans, and collections; participate in annual financial audit and accounting review for year-end close.Oversee central cashiering operations for students and departments.Oversee the tuition & fee assessments each semester.Oversee business project and process operations to provide analytics, metrics and ensure efficient process standards and procedures.Define and implement baseline metrics to measure office productivity.Identify and implement process improvements. Ensure process improvement becomes part of the office culture and operations. Plan, develop and maintain university wide policy and procedures for responsible units.Ensure compliance with University policies, federal and state regulatory requirements.Interact with internal and external auditors, participate in auditing projects, or provide information and access to accounting records as required.
Manage and collaborate on technology solutions and systems for student and University processes. Work in conjunction with UIS and OIT on student technologies including the Student Information System to ensure processes fully utilize technology for efficient and customer friendly processes.Serves as Functional Team Leader and subject matter expert for the Bursar.Aid with the development of campus training on new systems.Salary and Benefits:
The estimated annual salary range for this position is $110,000-$130,000.The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration, business, finance, accounting, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Seven years of related experience managing a office encompassing financial transactions, reconciliations, accounts receivable, and business management.
- Two years of experience in higher education in a supervisory or managerial role.
The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience at the management level, including direct responsibility for business and financial transactions, team leadership, and the establishment of customer service excellence.Preferred Qualifications
Experience in a higher education Student Finance/Bursar’s office.Master’s degree in accounting or finance; or CPA.Experience with Federal Title IV and state financial aid regulations.Experience that yields a working knowledge of Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), and state and federal requirements regarding data privacy and security related to electronic banking and credit card transactions.Competencies
Strategic thoughtful leadership with a process improvement mentality.Strong interpersonal, problem solving, and communication skills to effectively direct operations and interact with other departments across the university at all levels.Proven management skills in managing diverse professional and support staff, often in stressful situations. Developing teams to identify and solve problems, assuring delegated work is performed on time and with the highest quality.Ability to develop and administer effective financial systems and functions in the billing and collection of student receivables.Extensive analytical skills in accounting, finance, information technology, mathematics and business administration are essential.Establishes and maintains policies, procedures, and internal controls for accounting and depositing of payments, monitoring receivables, and optimizing collections.Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally. Outstanding customer service skills.Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.Balance of customer service attitude as well as the requirement to enforce university and federal policies in order to improve the collection rate and cash flow of the university.Ability to motivate staff and provide strong leadership for all areas of the office.Change management experience coupled with a positive attitude, a high level of ethics and integrity, openness to change and new information, able to inspire and foster team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust. Job Category:
Finance and AccountingPrimary Location:
Jun 14, 2021Unposting Date: