Job location: Colby College Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
R0000489 Job DescriptionDepartment:
AthleticsPay Rate Type:
Job Summary:Colby is a member of the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) and has 28 intercollegiate sports that compete at the Division III level, and four programs (men’s and women’s Alpine and Nordic Skiing) that compete at the Division I level within the EISA (Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association). The department also hosts a variety of club and intramural sports. More than one-third of Colby’s 2,000 students participate in intercollegiate sports and, in total, nearly three-quarters are involved in fitness and recreation activities in the department.
The College just completed the construction of a new, state-of-the-art athletics complex, which opened this year and is destined to be among the best Division III facilities in the country. The 350,000 square-foot athletics center includes an indoor track and field competition center, aquatic center with Maine’s first 50-meter pool, squash center, gymnasium, hockey arena, strength and fitness center, training rooms, and coaching suites. Additionally, the College recently opened a 70-acre-plus outdoor competition center that consists of three gleaming new competition and recreational fields that are also among the finest outdoor venues in Division III. Located in central Maine, the College has incredible access to other outdoor venues such as the Belgrade Lakes and Sugarloaf Mountain Resort, one of the premier ski destinations on the east coast.
The senior/associate director of athletics supports the department in all aspects of athletics management. Reporting to the director of athletics, this position will directly oversee the department staff, internal committees, department initiatives and assigned head coaches to support the work and goals of the department and the College. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
Senior/Associate Director of Athletics
Department of Athletics
Full-Time, Exempt, Salaried, Administrative Staff Appointment
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise all department assistant and associate directors of athletics; lead and manage daily activities
- In the absence of the director of athletics, serve as the athletics lead on all internal and external matters
- Serve as sport administrator for numerous varsity programs; supervise selected coaches and programs, travel as necessary to represent Colby Athletics
- Serve as a member of the department leadership team
- Oversee hiring of new head coaches
- Lead department initiatives and committees that support strategic objectives
- Serve as a senior department strategist and oversee selected athletic operational areas that align with a diverse skillset and department priorities
- Coordinate and execute professional development programming for staff and students
- Liaise with campus departments supporting College initiatives and messaging, building relationships, and delivering expertise around athletics processes and practices
- If appropriate, serve as the department senior woman administrator (SWA) and attend required conference and NCAA meetings
- Serve as the NCAA Diversity and Inclusion Designee for the department; oversee the department Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee; serve as liaison to other campus DEI efforts as a representative for athletics
- Oversee Title IX Equity for the department
- Proactively build and maintain positive and collaborative working relationships with colleagues across campus, within the local community, regionally and nationally to enhance the department brand and the college mission
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in major professional or collegiate athletic departments or comparatively complex organizations
- Collegiate coaching experience preferred
- Previous oversight of athletic programming preferred
- Experience managing and leading medium to large teams of individuals with different duties and skillsets
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a complex environment and manage relationships with various stakeholders
- Outstanding organizational, communication, written, interpersonal, and analytical skills in a fast-paced environment with the ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate, and advance strategic plans and programs
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously within timely deadlines
- Ability to work independently and to exercise judgment and discretion
- Proven ability to translate complicated and emerging information in effective communications to senior staff
- Ability to make an impact through work as a member of a team and diverse community
- Valid driver’s license required and must meet the College’s Fleet Safety Policy requirements
The senior/associate director of athletics has significant interaction with coaches, staff, students, faculty, and external constituents. The position may be the senior associate director of athletics or associate director of athletics, based on experience.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
General open office and campus environment. Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary. Several weeks of domestic travel and frequent evening and weekend work required throughout the year. Occasional lifting (up to 50 lbs.) may be necessary.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply" button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest including salary requirements, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Senior/Associate Director of Athletics- Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855
A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.