Search #: 495366
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Academic Programs and Services
Under the direction of the Office of Veterans Affairs and Military Programs, the Educational Program Assistant 2 provides administrative and program support to Air Force ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps) at the University of Connecticut.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists the Department Head and the assigned active-duty military cadre with program administration and activities, which may include collaborating with other university offices and/or outside agencies to ensure compliance with current policies and procedures, establishing internal administrative procedures, and makes or recommends changes as needed to improve the department’s efficiency or effectiveness.
- Performs office management duties, coordinates computer support, maintains records to support the department (i.e. fiscal, personnel, and student records). Hires and supervises 1 – 2 student staff to assist with office management.
- Assists with the admissions process for the department, which may include responding to general inquiries, referring as appropriate, from prospective students and their families, high school guidance counselors, and others; facilitates the medical components of admissions for applicants as well as the scheduling of high school scholarship applicants and processing required documentation.
- Serves as a resource to current students, including crosstown students, faculty, cadre members, and others regarding the program, procedures, and requirements, as well as matters relating to administrative policies and procedures.
- Coordinates program logistics, such as course scheduling in conjunction with the Registrar’s Office and unit personnel, arranging for the early arrival of ROTC students at the start of the academic year, etc. This includes the planning and coordination of AFROTC programs such as new student orientation, Career Day, Commissioning ceremony, etc.
- Provides administrative support for the AFROTC department. Examples include maintaining the Department Head’s calendar, drafting and editing correspondence, printing PeopleSoft course and student reports, receiving and distributing mail, and maintaining the department’s office supplies.
- Serves as the department’s fiscal officer for the department’s university account, managing the department’s budget, as allocated from the Office of Veterans Affairs & Military Programs. Assists in the preparation of the University and Foundation budget account(s) and makes purchases/approves expenditures as delegated. Ensures timely and accurate financial reallocations. Provides financial reports as required.
- Writes and/or edits informational and promotional materials, including the department website, which requires an understanding of the Aerospace Studies Department and Air Force ROTC.
- Compiles and maintains data and maintains the collection of resource materials and program information, including historical data regarding program productions, scholarship data, and other information relating to the operation of the program. This may include creating and editing reports with this data and information, as requested.
- Represents the Department Head to other university offices, the public, or outside agencies on a wide range of administrative matters, as assigned.
- Performs related duties as required by the Department Head or supervisor.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Two to three years related experience, which demonstrates considerable knowledge of administrative methods and subject areas.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and regularly exercise judgment regarding a wide variety of administrative matters.
- Strong interpersonal communications skills and excellent writing skills.
- Knowledge of a variety of computer applications, especially Microsoft Office, and familiar with using and entering information into databases
- Experience working in higher education providing student services.
- Prior experience working with military-connected populations or military leadership programs.
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, and outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. For additional information regarding benefits visit https://hr.uconn.edu/employee-benefits-overview/.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495366 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on July 6, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Jun 15 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jul 06 2021 Eastern Daylight Time