University of Colorado – School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Division of Hematology in the Department of Medicine at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (Aurora, CO) is looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated individual to join the computational arm of a research laboratory focused on developing novel therapies for blood cancer. Primary responsibilities of the position will be performing analysis of diverse sequencing datasets and contributing to the development and maintenance of pipelines and interactive analysis tools. Opportunities for career growth include developing key skills in the areas of exploratory data analysis, single-cell data analysis, and software development. Professional Field
Cell biology / Molecular biology / Cancer biology / Bioinformatics / Single-cell sequencingSupervision Received
The work will be performed under the joint supervision of the principal investigator Dr. Craig Jordan and research faculty in the lab (Drs. Austin Gillen and Krysta Engel).Supervision Exercised
N/A.Examples of Work Performed
Salary and Benefits
- Single-cell sequencing analysis: Routine processing and exploratory analysis of large-scale multimodal (RNA and protein) single-cell sequencing data using an established pipeline.
- Pipeline development and maintenance: Development and maintenance of pipelines for analysis and quality control of diverse sequencing datasets.
- Software development: Development of interactive tools to allow those without informatics training to easily derive insights from complex biological data.
- Report new results to supervisors via one-on-one meetings or group meetings.
The salary range (or hiring range
) for this position has been established at $37,500 - $52,000The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range
) represents the University's good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.This position is not
eligible for overtime compensation.The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services
. University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities. Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line. Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
.Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/human-resources/employee-relations-performance/ada-compliance
Office of Equity: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/equity
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or a related field (genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, etc.).
- The candidate must be proficient with the Linux command line and one or more common programming languages used in data science (R, Python, etc.).
- In the absence of formal computer science/bioinformatics training, the candidate must have substantial experience with the analysis of biological data, including sequencing data.
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire. Preferred Qualifications
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong interest in discovering novel therapies for cancer. Passionate about understanding human diseases.
- Experience with additional programming languages (C++, Rust, etc.).
- Experience with high performance computing/cluster environments (LSF, slurm, etc.) and/or cloud computing.
- Experience with software development (particularly R package development).
- Interest in the development of new computational tools to facilitate the analysis and interpretation of biological data.
- The position requires knowledge in bioinformatics and proficiency in one or more common programming languages (R and/or Python required, other languages are a plus).
- The successful applicant should be interested and confident in their ability to develop strong skills and experience in single-cell sequencing analysis and software development. Previous single-cell analysis experience is preferred but not required.
- A strong background in biology is critical to the successful interpretation of biological data,
- The applicant should be detail-oriented and have excellent record-keeping skills.
- The applicant needs to be enthusiastic about developing new assays and skills required for various stages of ongoing projects and be comfortable with multitasking and time management.
- The candidate must be interested in and learning / developing / optimizing new bioinformatic pipelines.
- The candidate must be well organized and able to maintain excellent records.
- The candidate must have excellent communication skills, able to function effectively in team settings, and be able to perform work independently once having received proper training.
Jun 14, 2021Unposting Date: